New KYB Shock Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New KYB Shock Report

So I bit the lip and had four new KYG shocks (gas-a-just) put on my '86 Tudor MGM.

I was charged $75.00 for the install, would that be considered a "steal"?

What a difference in ride, I really am impressed

Jast as I thought, the old shocks were the ones that came on the car when new..........had 86K on them:-(........had Motorcraft stamped on them

Comment

Yeah $75 is a good price for installation for all four.

I am looking at $500 installation for the new struts on the Subaru.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post

$75 was just for the front if I'm reading correctly. Still not bad for NYC prices.

Glad to hear you like them. I'm enjoying the ones on my car as well. How is the front end with bumps using the KYBs and stock springs?

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Slack, I changed my mind and put on all four, so I guess that 75.00 was an excellent price
          I love the ride, what a difference! The old ones were all original Ford from 1986, no leaks but totally shot. As to the bumps, I keep the tires at 35lbs so it was always a hard ride on less than great roads, but now its no big deal.......did not know KYB is made in Japan, not CHINA!
          Originally posted by slack View Post
          $75 was just for the front if I'm reading correctly. Still not bad for NYC prices.

Glad to hear you like them. I'm enjoying the ones on my car as well. How is the front end with bumps using the KYBs and stock springs?

Comment

500 wow, :-(
            Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post

Comment

very good. I messed around for 2 hours trying to grind the stud off of the RF shock when it froze (there's a trick-- use a prybar and an impact wrench, but, this shock wasn't playing nice). I'd have paid $75 for someone else to do that.

Comment

A lift an air ratchet and a willing extra set of hands(dat b mine) was all it took
                Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
                very good. I messed around for 2 hours trying to grind the stud off of the RF shock when it froze (there's a trick-- use a prybar and an impact wrench, but, this shock wasn't playing nice). I'd have paid $75 for someone else to do that.

Comment

Struts are different than shocks. I guess the $500 included the purchase of new struts. $75 install was just labor right?

Still $75 labor is good if you supplied your own parts.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Yes I had Jegs send the parts directly to the shop. No way original shocks rusted to hell would only take one hour to R&R, so I am happy I was cut some labor slack:-0
                    Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                    Struts are different than shocks. I guess the $500 included the purchase of new struts. $75 install was just labor right?

Still $75 labor is good if you supplied your own parts.

Comment

No the $500 is labor only. Struts are another $386.95. The brake lines have to be disconnected, Brakes bled and an alignment done. I wish the car had regular shocks !
                      Last rear shocks on one of the Lincolns cost $45 labor.

Comment

75 is crazy cheap, if only because it's an older car and broken bolts are almost guaranteed. You get one of those and you're probably over 75 bucks at shop rate. Heck, I'm not sure I'd do it for $75 bucks as a side job with access to a hoist.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
                        X