Tilt column conundrum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tilt column conundrum.

Not sure where the hell to put this thread so I figured suspension was the closest thing.

I've got a tilt wheel which I find completely useless and I'd like a tilt column (Like most cars have) I'm unaware of this being an option or not, but it's one of those things that really annoys me even when I sit in my hoopty and make engine sounds. I'd assume there's a possible swap if it's from a later model panther but I don't know shit about the subject. All help appreciated.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

My 2000 MGM has a tilt wheel. I vaguely remember a car commercial that showed a motorized column, but other than that I've never become aware of a tilt column.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

where are you looking for it to tilt exactly? GM cars tilt slightly further back, but its like 2" behind the wheel. Also, their 80s tilt stuff got goofy and the wheel would flop around. Fords just tilt right at the wheel. The column changed significantly in 1990, so fitting a later one will probably involve some dashboard surgery at least. There is also the matter of the trans linkage. It was rod linkage through 89, and went to a cable in 1990. You can probably retrofit that easy enough but its something to be aware of.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Funny I've always wished that newer cars tilted like the Box Panthers. Seemed more logical to have just the wheel itself tilt rather than the whole column.

I've had a car with the power tilt/telescopic wheel. That's a nifty little feature (goes all the way up when you shut the car off)
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          where are you looking for it to tilt exactly? GM cars tilt slightly further back, but its like 2" behind the wheel. Also, their 80s tilt stuff got goofy and the wheel would flop around. Fords just tilt right at the wheel. The column changed significantly in 1990, so fitting a later one will probably involve some dashboard surgery at least. There is also the matter of the trans linkage. It was rod linkage through 89, and went to a cable in 1990. You can probably retrofit that easy enough but its something to be aware of.

Trans linkage doesn't majorly bother me since by the time I got to this swap (if ever) it'd be a manual. It's something that's just sort of annoyed me with the car. Hmmm

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

If you're wanting to lower the column, I'd be thinking using spacers and longer bolts. Not sure what implications this would have though.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

It would be a lot of work, 90+ is so much different. You'd have to swap the whole column over, which won't fit the dash at all, so you'd need to either do a lot of cutting or swap a 90+ dash in, and that doesn't fit with out some mods.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

80s Cadillac had this odd manual telescoping column. It had a lever behind the wheel that you would move to release the column and then lock it back into position. Always thought that was odd, but it is roughly the same shape as the Ford column is. Probably would be a real bastard to swap tho.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Another odd one was on my 66 Caprice. The center of the horn unscrewed a bit for the telescoping steering wheel. I had to read the owners manual to figure that out. Just an opinion, I would not knowingly have any General Motors parts on a Ford product.

Comment

My fathers 1968 Caddy Eldorado had a tilt/telescopic wheel.
                    Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                    Another odd one was on my 66 Caprice. The center of the horn unscrewed a bit for the telescoping steering wheel. I had to read the owners manual to figure that out. Just an opinion, I would not knowingly have any General Motors parts on a Ford product.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Just not telescoping.

I feel as if you could custom make your own? If you added another joint in by the firewall in the steering shaft and then made a bracket that had different settings with a set screw or something. Regardless it'd be a messy endeavor..

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Working...
                      X