No announcement yet.

I slept, now spend money on me:-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah. Check it while it's on the ground if possible (or do like nightlight said) so that it's in its normal resting position.

Like others have said, the idler arm is really easy to replace. Shops should be able to do it quick. Also, I wouldn't recommend picking "economy" anything with steering stuff from RockAuto. I've had bad luck with that crap and had to replace it again not 6 months down the road.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Shit parts = Shit results!! (Throw in a shitty mechanic for the trifecta!!). Find the best parts you can get and someone with more than 2 working brain cells to do the work and you should be all set.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by nightlight View Post
        You can jack the car up by the engine crossmember, put a pair of jackstands under the lower control arms as close to the tires as possible, then drop the car down on the stands - not quite the same as car on the ground sitting on the tires, but darn near close.
        Using ramps would be another option. The weight would be on the wheels, and the car sitting at an angle shouldn't make much of a difference. I was able to get two pairs of ramps for $10/pair on Kijiji when I needed them. It helps to have the ramps up against something so they don't go sliding on you. On my landlady's driveway, the paving stones have sunk below the curb trim piece, and that works great.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Bob I hope you don't think MooG are shit parts???
          Originally posted by miamibob View Post
          Shit parts = Shit results!! (Throw in a shitty mechanic for the trifecta!!). Find the best parts you can get and someone with more than 2 working brain cells to do the work and you should be all set.

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
            Bob I hope you don't think MooG are shit parts???
            I was referring to auto parts in general. MOOG parts have a good rep but not sure where they are presently being made.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Moog seems to still be pretty good, but just to be safe I always go with the top-line that the manufacturer sells.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Ok so the idler(Moog) went in this morning, LOL.............still made in the good 'ol USA!
                Idler, labor, tax.........total $120.00

Opinions as to what I was charged??

One nice thing about the Moog it has two grease fittings........Motorcraft OEM.........no lube provisions:-

BTW, the rubber sleeves were completely shot.
                Last edited by Toploader; 05-06-2015, 01:28 PM.

Comment

seems legit for a shop to do the job. you always get charged for at least one hour of labor plus the part.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                  X