No announcement yet.

8.8 rebuild and new gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is why I will save up and pay a local performance shop that has an awesome rep to get the gears right.

and I'm lazy that way.

I'm not a real fan of B&M, but they do make good stuff. Can't argue with the quality most of the time. This should come out good in the end I think.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

New issue the right side caliper bracket is too close to the rotor. Took some measurements has to be the axle hsg to flange, the axle length, carrier, carrier shimming. Will have to remove the brakes to check some of the mentioned possible issues all else seems to check out. One solution might be to shim the caliper bracket away from the rotor about a washer thickness or 2.
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Took some measurements today of the axle flange face to the housing end flange

Click image for larger version

Name:	flange_diagram-med.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1278443 As far as i know ours are supposed to be 2.50"

LEFT -------------------------------------------------------------------------RIGHT

Axle movement in and out
        -------------------------------------------Difference L/R
        2.462 out------------------------------------.076------------------------------------2.385
        2.420 -IN -----------------------------------.075-------------------------------------2.346
        __________________________________________________ _________________________________
        .042-----------------------------------------.003-------------------------------------.039 Difference

2.500 Nom---------------------------------------------------------------------------2.500
        2.441 Nom---------------------------------------------------------------------------2.366
        __________________________________________________ ________________________________
        .059-----------------------------------------.075------------------------------------.134 Difference
        Last edited by turbo2256b; 11-08-2015, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Issues with the B&M cover.

First is the counter sunk bolt holes would have been nicer if they were a bit larger in dia. Especially the load bolt ones only a socket will work on the load bolt nut that locks the position.

The big problem is the load bolt pad and how it attaches to the bolt. Was warned of it in a review in Summit Racing wasnt sure why at the time but was ready for it.

The load bolt screws into the pad its a left hand thread so one has to make sure it on all the way. Screwing in the load bolt to contact the main cap it could fall off. So beware.

Name:	BM 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1278444

I think the Moser cover they are crimped into the pad socket

Comment

I hapen to have some left over 5/16 x 1 1/4" 12 pint ARP bolts and decided to use them to attach the cover. Stock bolt shown is a 1" allen head allen heads bug me they strip the wrench or socket eventually. To use the ARP had to grind down the edge a bit to the dia of the washers B&M supplied. Washer shown on the longer ARP bolt. Also bottom tapped all the bolt holes in the HSG. One plus to this is the grinding of the bolt flange took all the play out of the sliding around of the cover as the stock bolts would allow. Less chance of the cover loosing seal if jacked up under the center section.

Name:	BM 005.jpg
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1278445

Comment

I did have to do some washer shim on mine also to get the caliper in line with the disk.
              Even with the Ford gears I had the dang thing apart about 6 times to get it where I wanted it. Was my first time setting up gears. I think those gears would have given me a nervous breakdown!!! I have my fingers crossed right with ya!!!
              sigpic
              89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
              13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
              "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnlarry View Post
                I did have to do some washer shim on mine also to get the caliper in line with the disk.
                Even with the Ford gears I had the dang thing apart about 6 times to get it where I wanted it. Was my first time setting up gears. I think those gears would have given me a nervous breakdown!!! I have my fingers crossed right with ya!!!
                At least it's not a Dana axle - not only are their side shims sandwiched between the carrier and the bearings that are pressed onto it, but the pinion depth shims are in the housing under the big pinion bearing's outer race. Ok, you can either buy or make yourself some setup bearings for the carrier, but where the heck does one get a setup RACE for the effin pinion depth? And making one is nigh impossible for your typical driveway/backyard gearhead...
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Ewwokj3k

Comment

sPOKE WITH wILWOOD TODAY ABOUT AXLE OFFSET and shimming between axle flange and rotor they oked the spacer. Found a company that will make me hub concentric spacers just have to give them dimensions.
                    Proved the axle offset should be 2.50 and took some more accurate measurements going through a bunch of math tomorrow to make a decision on thicness of spacers.

Above was a post from my newest rescued kitten.

Comment

After a bunch more calculations figuring the 2.50 axle offset being at max , min then nominal positions including end play decided to go with nominal position.
                      Ended up needing a .050 spacer between the axle and caliper on the left side and a .110 spacer on the right. Found Wilwood makes a .080 spacer center hole was just a bit too large (3.2 VS NEEDED 3.08) but worked out ok with the centering ring for the disc. tHE SPACER TURNED OUT TO BE a bit over .090. So shimmed the right side to center the caliper on the rotor. The left side however needs a thinner shim between the caliper and its mount to center it to the rotor it will work though.
                      Decided to if the gears work out alright as far as noise goes might go with custom shims between the rotors and axle flange. Further figured to make the shims a bit better in cost and still be within tolerance it might be best to go with sheet stock sizes .062 on the and .125 on the right. Most of the time these stock thicknesses are at min thickness.

Rear is fully assembled now thinking of best way of hooking up brake lines and emergency brake cables. Swap into creamy wont happen for a month or so as have to finish up some stuff on the fiat to get it out of the way.

Comment

This is rather interesting that you're running into that kinda issues. But I suppose it's normal since axles are laterally located by the diff... That'd be another reason to like full-floaters, hub sits where it sits and you can do center section work to your heart's content and won't even have to pull the wheels off
                        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

The more one makes a 8.8 similar to a 9" the better it is but that can only go so far.

Comment

Assembled

Name:	8.8T 001.jpg
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1278469 Click image for larger version

Name:	8.8T 005.jpg
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1278470 Click image for larger version

Name:	8.8T 002.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1278471

Comment

Well if you convert to them press-on bearings like the 9" has then you wouldn't need the C-clips inside the diff (hence why them kits are called C-clip eliminators), and so you can cut the shafts down and have ample room to move the carrier around without its cross shaft touching the axle shafts. Right?

Comment

Most of the C-clip eliminators are approved by drag racing sanction events they are not for road racing SCCA events think there is one conversion that is other than cutting the ends off and welding on 9" ends. If I WAS TO DO THAT i believe one of the big rear end companies has a full floater set up they recently began to market.

Comment

Working...
                                X