wheel bearing trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheel bearing trouble

ok i have a 1990 mercury grand marquis ls stock i know my coil spring are out havent had time to replace but i have it since feberury when i brought off my dieing great grandfather for 600 99,000 mile need battery altanator and fuel pump was sitting a year but since ive own it ive gone tho two sets of rear wheel bearing (makes loud poping noise in bump and dips or if u shake the tire back and forth) is there a way to fix this maybe a better bearing i could buy or am i just driving my car to hard

If the rear bearings are bad, the axles are too. Replace the axle shafts if the bearings have actually gone bad. The wear is usually pretty evident.

Are you sure its even the bearing? Normally they hum and moan, not pop and clunk. That sounds more like dead shock bushings or loose shock bolts. Could also be any number of things in the front end. You're certain the noise is coming from the back ?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yea it not the shock did it before we replaced them still does if you push on the backside of the car left to right you can recreate the noise or it will make sat noise with you when you hit speed bumps or large dips and everytime you cornor heavy dat why we were kick outta the mustage rally autocross event here in town plus i dont think they were happy when u bring the boat the the sport car shows

Comment

fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

Check the control arm bushings. If they're toast it will tend to creak and groan too. Dead rubber isolators on the coil springs could also do it.

You're sure the noise is from the back? Bad ball joints and front suspension parts tend to do this too.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If you are shaking the tire back and forth, how much movement are you getting? Because some in and out movement is normal, and it will make noise. Not popping, but theres enough slop there to make a racket if you give it a shake if the wheels are off the ground.

As above, how did the axles look? Both the spot where the bearings ride, and the splines.

Alex.

Comment

I don't wanna sound like a dickhole, but have we checked to see if the lugs are properly tightened? After that I'd look at various suspension bushings and the like, because as mentioned, axle bearings would hopefully give other noises long before things like "popping". And what the hell is a mustage?

Comment

Mustage is probably a misspelled Mustang.

The bearing issue, lift the rear of car by the axle and put axle on jackstands. Now try pulling and pushing on each wheel, also try lifting up on them. A little (1/16" or so) in-out movement is normal this is because the axle shafts do not ride firmly wedged between the differential's cross shaft and side gears, and thus they are allowed to slide in (till their face hits the cross shaft surface) and out (till their C-clip hits the face of the side gear) a tiny amount. No noticeable vertical movement should be present tho, if you can measure such movement with crude devices (tape measure) then yes your bearings are shot and as Gadget said axle shafts likely are as well.

Bearings play is best examined with wheels and brake drums removed, you really wanna be staring at the axle shaft's bare flange. But the above tests can certainly be performed with the wheels still on.
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

yea i misspelled mustang was on break at work i replaced brakes last night and there is play in the axles ill have to measure it when i get off but when i move the axle in and out even a little bit it sound like take a hammer to the drum brake and thanks for all the help and i didnt get to see the axles i was outta town both time so my grandpa fixed them even though i told him not to
                Last edited by Rassel90; 09-16-2015, 06:55 PM. Reason: more to add

Comment

The problem with checking axle play while drums are on is the your brake drums act like musical drums and amplify any and all sounds you may be hearing. That's why I said you want them off, then you're only working with the axle shafts, and thus you can hear and feel any movements and noises more accurately. Make it an evening project after work one day you're not too busy with family or what have you, it doesn't take very long and you'll know exactly what you're dealing with...
                  The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

yea i had them off yesterday when replacing brake still making the same noise same db imma just ride them till they brake off completely then if imma gonna have to replace the axles on top of it since its my only car right now and only get one day of and if i doing diff work i got the rebuild with carbon clutch plates and changing the 3.27 to some thing smaller

Comment

if you do that... you will loose sheet metal as the wheel/tire/hub will destroy your rear quarters when it breaks off. Better start saving now and plan to fix it ASAP.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Rassel90 View Post
                        yea i had them off yesterday when replacing brake still making the same noise same db imma just ride them till they brake off completely then if imma gonna have to replace the axles on top of it since its my only car right now and only get one day of and if i doing diff work i got the rebuild with carbon clutch plates and changing the 3.27 to some thing smaller
                        Well unfortunately we're not there with you to hear how loud it bangs... So it would be nice to see some numbers - HOW MUCH do them shafts move, and in what direction? Up-down, left-right, in-out?

Waiting till something lets go is a very bad idea - as Sly said it is a very violent failure, lots of carnage happens. Under the right conditions it can also kill you. If you have concerns about the health of the current axle, start looking for another complete assembly - of course it's anyone's guess as to what the condition of that will be internally, so it's somewhat of a gamble.

Comment

There is nothing to hold those rear wheels on if the axle breaks. The drums provide zero retention. If you ever want pics of what can happen to the car if the rear wheel comes off, let me know and I'll get some. Suffice to say its not pretty, nor is it cheap to fix. I still haven't dealt with mine, but its basically going to be a quarter panel, a lot of trim, and repainting a chunk of the car.

Comment

yea yall are right i dont need to lose a wheel and slide off a cliff coming home from work thank you guys for all your help

Comment

Heres a couple busted axles;
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X