Air ride (air shocks) lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air ride (air shocks) lines

Does anybody know where I can get that blue plastic air lines for the load leveling system in on 89 Lincoln town car? I measured .185 inches which translates to 3/16''
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

I don't know but came to say I got mine working properly last week and am like a kid in candy store lol. So simple and nobody else cares but there's something about watching it compensate for weight that has me loading and unloading the trunk all the time.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

BTW I can't correct the shocks title, lol sorry guys shocks, not shccks

But how did you fix yours? WHat happened with yours?

I found this, would this work?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Pronounced: Shik-kocks.

If that line has the same outside diameter as the stock line then it should work. I don't see why your old one wouldn't work. If anything just get a tubing cutter so you can trim off the skanked ends neatly and things should be good.

My fix was much easier than I expected it to be. Met up with some GMN'ers earlier in the year and Kyle was doing demonstrations with his car and so Ash and I tried adding weight to ours and neither of our compressors kicked on. We tried manually raising our cars using a compressor on the schraider valves but only Ashley's car responded, but went back down as soon as we pulled the line off. With that in mind I bought two compressors, two sets of the Monroe replacement air shocks and two ATK14? line adaptor kits. A month later and I noticed my compressor kicking on at random intervals so that kicked me into sending the car to a shop to have the shocks thrown on and voila, working air suspension. Well, on my first test I noticed a big air leak at the new T-fitting for the shocks but to fix it I simply jammed the blue line in further and tried doing the same with the new tiny black lines going to each shock. I also adjusted the T-fitting a bit and then tightened the bolt holding it in place, no more hissing and the car does what it is supposed to do. I haven't recharged the dessicant but that's on my list...

Comment

LOL

Well my ends were pretty skanked so I had no choice but to trim them, however, I noticed a diameter differential between the lines before and after the rib on the line. I guess it was enough to warrant an air leak.

I don't think my system is the same as what you have, maybe but im just saying. I believe the orange ring or the brass collar is FUBAR'd seeing as how I didn't know how to disconnect and and started violently pulling on the line without pressing the orange ring. I think I have messed it up. I ordered a new drier, we will see what happens, I just needed to find if I have the right line

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Pics of damaged areas? There isn't enough to re-trim and re-use? I'm no expert but once you get that stuff to stop leaking at the collars I think you're good. That ATK14 or w/e hose adaptor kit will replace whatever you had outback. I didn't look at the factory set-up but I'm assuming it was different, otherwise the kit wouldn't have been needed and I noticed another white hose running along with the blue hose but it was cut. If you damaged those locking collars then those are probably the issue, not the hose. Awaiting others to correct my amaturity.

PS: Lifting the rear of the car with my 2.5 ton jack sucked balls. New jack needed.

Comment

Yeah my issue is the collar right at the compressor, I think I fudged up the brass grab collar or the orange pull ring

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
                Does anybody know where I can get that blue plastic air lines for the load leveling system in on 89 Lincoln town car? I measured .185 inches which translates to 3/16''
                quick search for 3/16 nylon tubing got me this:

Should be enough to do about 5-7 cars.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ok, so Nylon is the way to go then, gotcha only thing is I need 3/16 OD, not ID. I was unsure what material to get

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                  -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

this seems promising, no? I could just take advantage of a barbed connector if I am planning on just doing the end

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

5548K63

you can pick what color you like. $0.42 per foot.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
                        http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-pl...tubing/=yxqhmq

this seems promising, no? I could just take advantage of a barbed connector if I am planning on just doing the end
                        So-o-o, screw in a barbed fitting in place of the presumably messed up one, put a small piece of hose over the existing line and barbs, and clamp it down on both ends? That could work if you can get clamps that small or otherwise get it to seal properly.
                        Last edited by IPreferDIY; 09-14-2015, 05:28 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

If you're gonna do anything like that, I'd drill out the stock setup entirely and tap it for a pipe thread. Screw in a pipe to compression fitting or a pipe to push-connect fitting and call it good.

You don't want to use hose and clamps at this sort of pressure. It won't hold without a barb or something, and the plastic doesn't really lend itself to that. You have to use push-connect fittings or compression fittings.

Frankly I doubt there is any need to change the line. Just lop off the damaged bit and put it back together. Its going to leak some, they all do. Its a piss-poor connection method even under the best of circumstances.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Isn't the main line coming out of the compressor 1/4"? Could have swore that's what it is... Then your air shocks lines are typically 1/8". So what you need is a T-connector for one 1/4" line and two 1/8" lines - well find a local NAPA store that makes hydraulic hoses and hit them up for a brass T-ee with 1/8" NPT female ends, and also one 1/4" air line fitting and two 1/8" air line fittings all with 1/8" NPT male ends. You can get push-connect fittings if you wanna be able to quickly undo the lines, or for a more permanent solution get the compression type with inserts and ferrules.

Got the push-connects on my RoadRanger shift valves and the compression style everywhere on the undercarriage, the system can holds 140 psi for over a week usually if I remember to shut off air supply for the air horn solenoid... Kinda doubt you'll see much higher pressures in a Panther air-assist, seeing how shocks themselves are usually rated at 200 psi and at that pressure they might as well be solid sticks.

Edit: if the main line is indeed 3/16" then just buy a 3/16" air line fitting instead of the 1/4" mentioned above, same result will be had.
                            Last edited by His Royal Ghostliness; 09-15-2015, 02:45 AM.
                            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

What's the highest pressure possible with these setups? Typical pressure? Doesn't seem like much...

Comment

Working...
                              X