final drive ratio ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

final drive ratio ?

ok my buddy is sell a ring and pinion outta of his off road bronco he told me it was a 4.56 to 1 had it in for a month said it wasnt small enough i dont care about my mpg if i was id drive a geo what do you guys think good idea for bad wat else will need to be change/stronger to hold up to it

That might be too much gear for a daily driver and I expect it will hurt your MPG's!!
    I think you would be happier with 3:55's or maybe 3:73's tops.
    To each his own.

Comment

Yeah, my 4.30s put it in OD by like 25-30mph unless you're beating on it. And it doesn't like going much over 62, the rear starts getting really noisy.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

I drive around with the shifter on 3rd, I don't shift into OD until I get on the highway and hit at least 60mph. With 3.08's I can easily get away with that. I hate how the stock governor shifts so early.
        88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
        Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

bit much.

Just to put it in perspective, your stock 3.08 rear with an AOD and stock size tires spins the motor at 1744 rpm at 65 mph. With a 4.56, you're at 2582 rpm. At 75, you're talking 2012 rpm vs 2979 rpm. It'll do it, but it won't be super comfortable about it. When you've got a motor that makes absolutely no power over 4200 rpm, you don't need to get it there overly soon.

Nick's rear I suspect is just screwed up. It should not be making noises over 60 mph with a 4.30. Motor will be spinning a bit much, but it should not be unhappy about it.
          Last edited by gadget73; 09-22-2015, 05:41 PM.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

good to know ill just keep what i got till i can make more power outta the motor

Comment

Working...
            X