Rear End 8.8 on an 87

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear End 8.8 on an 87

So had a bad axle bearing passenger side. Replaced it. Axle was chewed up a little so I got an axle shaft from a 90 wagon at junkyard. Car I'm working on is an 87 wagon with a door tag indicating 3.27 open. The 90'wagon at yard had a door vin and diff cover tag of 3.27 open.

The brake drum does not seat fully anymore it sticks out about 1/2" as if the axle shaft is a tad longer.

I'm stumped...were there some changes for the 90? I feel like the wheel sticks out a little bit more on the right side now.

Also the rear end now makes more noise than before :-(
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Yes. '90 -'91 has ~1" wider track width.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Argggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg gggggggggggggggg.

Ok - thanks.

Guess I get to buy a Dorman axle shaft kit.
      -Nick M.
      Columbia, SC

Comment

hAVE A COUPLE axles for a 87 8.8 in good shape if your interested
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

What about this?
          Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I need to finish fixing my 89 so I can drive that to work. Once i finish installing the new timing cover, oil pan, valve cover and lower/upper gaskets with new injectors and coolant hoses, I will dissassemble the rear and see what's going on with it.

Keep me in mind for the axles - we will be in touch if I need them. Are they pitted? Scuffed? Worn?
            -Nick M.
            Columbia, SC

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
              I need to finish fixing my 89 so I can drive that to work. Once i finish installing the new timing cover, oil pan, valve cover and lower/upper gaskets with new injectors and coolant hoses, I will dissassemble the rear and see what's going on with it.

Keep me in mind for the axles - we will be in touch if I need them. Are they pitted? Scuffed? Worn?
              They look good and axle bearings were not compromised. If any noticeable wear they would be in the scrap pile. BTW am in central KY CURRENTLY
              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
              X