Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay, just what on earth am I even driving here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, just what on earth am I even driving here?

I have started to gather suspension parts recently, because let's face it, the whole thing is trashed.

I started under the assumption I had a plain-jane 89 Grand Marquis GS, so I bought 1" sway bar bushings (Mevotech blue polyurethane, because blue).

Well, then I tried to test-fit them...and there's exactly a quarter-inch gap. That means I have the 1 1/8" sway bar.

...What?

This doesn't make any sense. It doesn't have a police package, because it has 10-inch drums, no rear bar, and it's not a Crown Victoria. It doesn't have the towing package, because it has no tow hitch. So...just what the hell is this thing?

I've done all the research I possibly can, and this is what I've learned so far:
    -The towing package came with adjustable rear air shocks, which this had when I got it.
    -Changing to adjustable air shocks from factory air springs requires a conversion kit. It's highly unlikely this was converted, because the whole system fell apart from age shortly after I got it.
    -It's also unlikely that the sway bar was swapped on, because the bushings are so old that they're completely useless.
    -There apparently was also a hauling package, which came with the police heavy duty suspension.
    -If I have this suspension, I can probably kiss any chances of replacing the upper control arm bushings goodbye.

Does anyone have any more information about this? I'm still a bit lost here, and I need to know what I have if I'm going to replace anything.
    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

If you have a gap, that means you have the thinner bar, not the fatter bar. backwards math is backwards. You have the 19mm bar like I have on my GS.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      If you have a gap, that means you have the thinner bar, not the fatter bar. backwards math is backwards. You have the 19mm bar like I have on my GS.
      No, the bushing is too small. The gap I'm talking about is the cut on the side of the bushing. I measured it. One quarter inch. I knew I should have taken a picture.

I was under the impression 1 inch is the smallest bar these ever had, which is why I didn't say that.
      Last edited by ootdega; 04-02-2016, 05:26 AM.
      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

It came with air shocks. Not Air springs. To convert from air shocks you just replace the shocks with regular shocks.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Could be a factory oops. My '82 had the fat bar up front but was a medium duty tow package car.

Are your upper control arms greasable?
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

My 90 and my dad's 91 are both LS models, but his has a fatter bar. The only difference is his had rear air shocks, and no premium sound. Mine has standard shocks and premium sound.

Must be the air shocks.
            1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
              It came with air shocks. Not Air springs. To convert from air shocks you just replace the shocks with regular shocks.
              Maybe I'm reading something wrong, but I know the difference between the two is the base package is self-leveling and the towing one is adjustable.

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
              Could be a factory oops. My '82 had the fat bar up front but was a medium duty tow package car.

Are your upper control arms greasable?
              I'll have to check when I have daylight in a couple hours. I'll gather any relevant photos I can, which I probably should have done in the first place.
              89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

The 80s system came with automatic self-leveling air shocks. The only other option was standard shocks. It wasn't two different things, though you might see it called by several names. They all had conventional coil springs.

Tow package cars also had an extra set of coolers in front of the radiator. If you have a long U shape steel tube behind the grille, thats a tow package car.

Possible someone whacked something and had the front bar replaced. Or they ran out of whatever normally went on and put that size on that day. My tow package car came with a 7/8" front bar, which is the smallest one that was available.

The greasable upper arms are only found on police models as far as I know. It wasn't a tow package thing.

Lesson here, size it before you buy.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, here's what I could get:

The bushing vs. the bar:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160402_090050.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1279173Click image for larger version

Name:	20160402_085418.jpg
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1279174

Every angle I could manage of the arm:

Name:	20160402_092605.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1279167Click image for larger version

Name:	20160402_091739.jpg
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1279168Click image for larger version

Name:	20160402_091726.jpg
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1279169Click image for larger version

Name:	20160402_091716.jpg
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1279170Click image for larger version

Name:	20160402_091640.jpg
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1279171Click image for larger version

Name:	20160402_091634.jpg
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1279172

I hate these annoying cardboard flaps, by the way. They like to catch on the tire lettering at full lock and make wonderful noises. I also cannot for the life of me imagine how people take pictures with this thing one-handed on a regular basis.
                  Attached Files
                  89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Sorry for the double post, it wouldn't let me upload anything else on that post.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    The 80s system came with automatic self-leveling air shocks. The only other option was standard shocks. It wasn't two different things, though you might see it called by several names. They all had conventional coil springs.

Tow package cars also had an extra set of coolers in front of the radiator. If you have a long U shape steel tube behind the grille, thats a tow package car.

Possible someone whacked something and had the front bar replaced. Or they ran out of whatever normally went on and put that size on that day.

Does that mean I have a FACTORY FREAK? OH BOY!

Jokes aside, this thing doesn't really fit that description, but it's a cooler for something...

Name:	20160402_101952.jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1279175

...and it's in front of the radiator.

Name:	20160402_102033.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1279176

This is probably the part where my knowledge runs out and I start to look like an idiot.

As for the shocks, I'm really not sure what to tell you...

Name:	20160402_090311.jpg
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1279177

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    Lesson here, size it before you buy.
                    Well, the good news is, since I already have the police bar, that means I can just slap a rear bar on and be good. The reproduction rear bar from Addco is 1 inch...but it doesn't even use bushings. So yeah, these are useless to me. If anyone wants them, you can have them. Save you 10 bucks.

On the other hand, I tried getting the RED bushings that are for THIS bar, part number MK80094, which are listed as red polyurethane on literally every single listing I can find for them, and I got rubber instead. From two different places. So I guess I'm using rubber on the front. I'll just keep both and have a spare set.
                    Last edited by ootdega; 04-02-2016, 12:59 PM.
                    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Thats the AC condensor. The factory trans and power steering coolers look like this:

Upper arms are the standard rubber bushing type. Your bushings are about hosed BTW.

Those are not factory shocks. Someone put those in there. The factory system involves an air compressor under the hood.

I think you do not have a tow package car.

The flaps should lay on top of the frame rail, tucked towards the engine compartment. They won't hit the tire if they are in there right. It does a lot to keep dirt out of the engine bay too.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Okay, noted. Thanks.

And believe me, those aren't the only bushings that are trashed... at least I'll actually be able to replace them though. These are made of enough unobtanium as it is.

I'll have to get someone to work the steering wheel so I can figure out how to put those flaps back, then. Thanks for that, now I know what to do with them.

...That's three things that were driving me nuts squared away in a single thread. You guys are great.
                        89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Push the flaps on top of the upper control arm.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yeah, just push them in and let them fall back. They should lay on the control arm and frame and stay out of the way.

Comment

yeah... you have the fat bar. Kinda sucks that there were 3 different bars. I measured mine before ordering. This time for my 93. Currently collecting parts for all poly on the 93.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X