Remove Driver Mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove Driver Mirror

Sooooooo on my road trip from missouri to michigan, my mirror glass broke off and started flying around in the wind with the wires still attached. Honestly, it kinda scared me cause it was snowy out, and I was driving in chicago on the expressway when it happened. I was wondering how do you remove the door panel to get the mirror off? There is one in the junkyard, and I may cut the door panel to quickly get the mirror off, and would rather not do the same to mine xD.
    Last edited by SirFoxx; 01-05-2017, 10:06 PM.

On what car?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My '86 town car

Comment

ok. Not in your sig, so I wasn't sure.

Assuming driver's side:
        remove the ring around the power mirror knob. It unscrews, you can probably get it if you squeeze it and turn.
        Remove the screw in the cup around the door handle
        remove the lock knob and the trim piece around it
        remove the cup and undo the screws visible attaching the door panel to the inner door
        lift out tthe panel with the door and window switches
        remove the screws holding the switches to that panel
        remove the screw down inside that hole holding the door panel to the door
        find and remove the screw at the rear edge of the door panel, its in the carpet just below the trim piece. Usually its hidden so you have to feel around for it
        remove the screw at the rear edge of the arm rest area
        use a trim removal tool (or a putty knife) to go around the edge of the door panel and carefully pull the plastic clips out of the door
        Once all of them are loose, lift the panel straight up to unhook it from the door
        Fish the switches through the hole and pull the door panel off
        remove the light bulb from the lens in the door. Should pull out or do 1/4 turn and pull out, can't quite remember.

If anything doesn't seem to want to go, find whatever screw I forgot about and remove that. Don't just give it the heave-ho, it'll come off but it will not go back on properly.

Passenger side is basically the same, just no power mirror switch. You will have to open the ash tray and remove the screw visible under the door to get that switch panel out.

Once you're into the door, you'll want a long extension with a 10mm socket and a flex joint to get the mirror off. There should also be 2 plugs on the mirror harness that have to be undone. Later cars have one plug, but the wire colors are the same. You can carefully de-pin the connectors and switch a later mirror onto an early car with no real effort, and its much neater than cutting and splicing.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
        X