Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AOD cooler lines looking like a slasher film.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD cooler lines looking like a slasher film.

Top one is spraying out fluid like a scene from a Bruce Campbell movie.

Now before I go to the parts store in a blind panic screaming.

Just what the hell do I really need. I've browsed the web, but I don't trust other places. You guys have never let me down and have saved me a bit of change in the process.

So thank you.

But what exactly do I need to do here. The car is a 1986 crown Victoria. Tempted to name it Can'O Worms or One Thing After Another.

oh, the stupid quick connect fittings are bad. Dorman 800-608 should do it. You also need a tool to disconnect them. There are a few different styles, and its the same kind that are used for the fuel lines. Basically you push the tool in around the steel line, and after the right combination of pushing, pulling, and cursing it will pop out. Once the lines are out, unscrew the part out of the radiator, replace them, then pop the lines back in. Use some trans fluid on the steel lines to lube them so the O-ring doesn't tear.

If you don't have a set, Harbor Freight can hook you up.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I heard they're quick connect on both the transmission and the radiator. But on the radiator it was flared fitting like a brake line. (I bypassed the original system because it was leaking from a dorky aftermarket in line filter they put on the line.)

So did they have only one side be quick disconnect and one side be screw on? Because it I was able to just unscrew the line from the bottom of the radiator.

I hope I do not have those quick connect fittings. They sound like an absolute damn nightmare.

Edit: did a google search. God damnit! That's what they look like. NO!
      Last edited by DrHax; 09-16-2017, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Stock 1986 used quick connect. Not impossible someone changed it, or has knocked together some sort of nonsense though.

Starting around 1988 it was flared. The flare lines came with a flare to pipe adapter that screw into the radiator. Its all brass, fairly easy to identify if you remove it. The clue is that there are two things down there with a hex nut, the flare nut on the steel line, and the flare to pipe adapter screwed into the radiator. You should be able to see space between them.

The quick connects are just one part, and you'll see plastic tabs sticking out of the back edge of them. They honestly aren't any big deal. Change the fitting, don't screw with it, it'll be fine for a lot of years. Just expect that if you need to remove the cooler lines you're going to need new fittings. They do not spin off well, and they do not re-use well.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Stock 1986 used quick connect. Not impossible someone changed it, or has knocked together some sort of nonsense though.

Starting around 1988 it was flared. The flare lines came with a flare to pipe adapter that screw into the radiator. Its all brass, fairly easy to identify if you remove it. The clue is that there are two things down there with a hex nut, the flare nut on the steel line, and the flare to pipe adapter screwed into the radiator. You should be able to see space between them.

The quick connects are just one part, and you'll see plastic tabs sticking out of the back edge of them. They honestly aren't any big deal. Change the fitting, don't screw with it, it'll be fine for a lot of years. Just expect that if you need to remove the cooler lines you're going to need new fittings. They do not spin off well, and they do not re-use well.

Comment

Got a tool and the new disconnect fitting, but the tool doesn't seem to reach in far enough to disconnect it. I knew this would happen.

Comment

Did you use the fuel line tool or the transmission line tool? Those stupid fittings will want the Ford-specific transmission lines tool, in 5/16" flavor.
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

the set I have does both, but its that plastic collar set that go pretty deep.

Comment

When I did not have the tool for the trans line fittings and I needed to change a radiator, not the issue here, I just unscrewed the fittings from the radiator with the lines still attached then screwed them into the new radiator.
                  Last edited by jaywish; 09-17-2017, 12:02 PM.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Its a transmission tool that's 5/16 and its stepped, but I don't see how the step could possibly reach down into there. It's a brown plastic thing. Times like these I wish I had access to a lathe. I'd just make my own out of metal.

I suspect ford changed fittings some time around 2003 because the step on this tool doesn't even touch the plastic little flaps inside of the fitting. I confirmed this theory by trying it on the new quick disconnect fitting, and as well as on one of the no longer in use radiator ones. Does anybody have an online link to the correct tool.... this is really annoying.

By the way this isn't an issue with the radiator. I actually bypassed that one with a new cooler mounted in front of the condenser, and its the fittings on the transmission that are leaking!
                    Last edited by DrHax; 09-17-2017, 12:04 PM.

Comment

propane torch to melt the plastic will also get it done, beware setting the car on fire though.

My release tools don't have a step. Try a different type maybe. I think my plasic ones came from the parts store, HF has a metal "duck bill" sort of thing in a set that should do it too.

Comment

Helped a friend who went a good auto zone. got some metal tools were the part that slides in looked thinner. It was. Came home practiced a bit with the fitting I took off of the radiator, and Voila! So I should be able to do this. While I'm under there I think I'm going to flush out the transmission and replace the filter. It's been probably never since it was done to the car.

Comment

Id skip the flush and just drop the pan and drain the torque converter. That will get almost all of it out.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            Id skip the flush and just drop the pan and drain the torque converter. That will get almost all of it out.
                            ^^^ This!
                            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Working...
                            X