No announcement yet.

Braking question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the smallest of calipers can lock up the tires, once you can no longer lock the tires due to traction then bigger calipers will benifit you. High end brakes like Wilwood, Brembo, Alcoa are good because they can do hard braking over and over without fading. the more heat you can dissapate then the better you will be able to stop repetadly
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I thought the boxes had a proportioning valve?

Good Day
      1993 GM LS 244K
      29.5mm PI front bar, ENS greaseable bushings, 21mm rear bar, ENS bushings, endlinks. Black steelies, center caps. Stewart-Warner mechanical oil pressure guage. K&N filter

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII 144K
      All airbags are now coils/struts. Junk tranny, motor donor car

Mercury Owners Group

If you don\'t like what I have to type, don\'t read it. It is only my opinion, nothing more.

Comment

i drove my vic the other week........i prob wont drive it again till it gets big brakes...........i dont need to lock up my brakes........fade what fade? ask anybody that's been in my car lol............stock brakes suck.......not as bad if you got 11" drums like gadgets tc.......if the car needs ball joints and bushings, the 98-02 upgrade is a wise decision in my book
        scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The stock brakes are sufficient, but they fade badly. I've towed a few times with my car, and I can tell you for certain that they are absolutely not well suited for it. Just try and stop 2 vehicles with stock brakes and you'll never want to do it again. I have the tow package, which gives me 11" rear drums vs stock 10" and its just not enough. I've driven Scott's car and the brake feel is much more solid, and requires a fair bit less pedal effort. My car's brake system is in pretty OK shape, doesn't require excessive pedal effort or travel or anything, but brake application is smoother and easier with the upgraded brakes. My car (and any box I've driven really) doesn't really have a gradual even feel to the brakes. Its more of a sudden application vs the controlled braking effort with the bigger parts. Least thats my feelings on the matter.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I just never liked the fact that they locked up so easily. All of my cars had upgraded wheels, tires, and suspension. The only one that could stop decently was the 87 with the tow package (11x2" rear drums) All of the other cars would just lock up and slide-no matter what. That is BAD for trying to stop. The rear brakes need to do more. And discs out back will add more rear bias, which helps the car stop without pushing the fronts to the point of lockup. And the drums always seem to lock up more easily that discs. drums also heat up and fade way quicker.

My fox body with 4 wheel discs was incredible. It wouldn't lock the brakes up and could stop on a friggin penny from 70 in the rain without any drama. Would easily put you through the windshield. That's the way I want the wagon to stop. I also think the other contributing factor with the panthers is how soft the front suspension is, even under hard braking the suspension absorbs most of the energy and doesn't put much more wieght on the front wheels. If you got more wieght on them, it'd be more difficult to lock them up.

Damn long ass post....
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Exactly. My 68 beetle and the 73 super, both with 4 wheel drum were horrible. They would lock the tires, sure but didn't stop for shit. The 73 had larger front drums and it was a little better but still crap. Converted the front to disc brakes with dual piston (one per side, non-floating caliper) and it was quite possibly the best thing I ever did to that car. Stopping was much less of a panic affair and it would actually stop after hitting a puddle. It also took 4 of the horribly designed brake adjuster star wheels away which certainly did not upset me even a little bit. This was a common discussion topic on the VW newsgroups I hung on (newsgroups, anyone remember those?) about how the disc brakes were not much, if any better than properly working drums, etc, but I can tell you this for a fact. I never saw a single person who had converted to disc fronts say they regretted it, or that it was a worthless upgrade. Those brave souls who managed to locate the correct donor Porsche to install rear discs also had no complaints once they dialed the brake bias in correctly.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

IAS shocks help the nose from diving under hard braking. at least for me.
                Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny
                  IAS shocks help the nose from diving under hard braking. at least for me.
                  Shocks do help, but heavier springs would do even more. All 3 of my previous panthers used the same shocks, but the 87 had replacement front springs and it stopped the best. It also had the bigger rear brakes because it was a towing package car.
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                  X