No announcement yet.

Shake rattle and roll.............'86 MGM 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure of the weather up in the "Big Apple" but it probably is not conducive to looking into it now. They are, when conditions allow, a good place to start.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

if someone unscrewed the fittings when the radiator was replaced, fair guess thats related. They have an O ring in there and when you rotate the fitting after decades the O ring tends to leak. it is possible to rebuild them but its sort of annoying, or you just get new fittings.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
        Not sure of the weather up in the "Big Apple" but it probably is not conducive to looking into it now. They are, when conditions allow, a good place to start.
        Yes huge snow storm headed to the rotting apple, at least my Tudor will be buried under lots of snow which means I do not to move the car for street cleaning.........and also the snow hastening the rot all over the body:-(

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          if someone unscrewed the fittings when the radiator was replaced, fair guess thats related. They have an O ring in there and when you rotate the fitting after decades the O ring tends to leak. it is possible to rebuild them but its sort of annoying, or you just get new fittings.
          Thain I remember the fittings on the old radiator were leaking like crazy, very fortunately my bud had some new ones that he had in a drawer for like 30 years, also the fittings going into the trans were leaking.

Comment

yeah they get leaky. Its a fairly crappy connector. Plastic thing to wedge the steel tube in place, single O ring to actually make the seal. Rebuilding them is just pull the plastic thing out, fish the O ring out, clean the dirt and crust out, put a new O ring in and put the plastic in. Easier said than done though, the O ring is halfway down inside and getting a pick to fish it out is sort of tedious. Last pair I did took me like 20 minutes, though I was working with my hand bandaged up from my own stupidity. New ones were out of stock everywhere though, and an engine swap was happening so basically it was either I get them rebuilt, or I'd have to dip into my emergency backup stock. I wasn't of much use with my hand wrapped up so I fixed the connectors. Used AC O rings too, because thats what I had. Handily anything you can seal with a common black nitrile ring can also be sealed with a green HNBR ring. I have those things fixing fuel line connectors on my diesel and as air solenoid seals on the Mark VII.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X