No announcement yet.

1980 lincoln body bushings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow, beautiful work, cant wait to see the finnished product!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I've never seen this thread before.

That Fairmont is gorgeous, even though I like box top better myself. What kind of times does that turn?

The frame off Linc is awesome too. There didn't appear to be any rust on that bare frame; really nice car. The frame off isn't really that bad either (we had my Dad's '99 P71 off the frame when we clipped it), if you have the means to remove the body without wrecking it.

Good luck with the rest of this project.
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by 351-lincoln View Post
        o wow, moves that much with out the washer type deal. i could easily cut plates and weld them inside the frame. Im still up in the air over all this. I do thank you guys for all your helpful input.
        im going to have to go over each of my bushings and see just what kind of shape they are in. they all seemed to be in very good shape. just a few had there little metal rings pulled off when i pulled them off the frame.

I haven't replaced mine yet- thats with the stock originals on it.... I have to get around to doing the ES ones on my car. I don't have all the specs on me right now, but the ES ones aren't that far off. like 1/8th or 1/4 inch. With all the work you are doing it should be a 10 minute job to modify your car for the ES's. I was thinking of just making some reducing sleeves on a lathe to take up the space.

There are many benefits to the ES bushings, they are tougher, they will mount the body better, as I'm sure you've noticed not all of the spots have lower bushings stock.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

i'll have some pics for you in a few days.....washers are sposed to be done this week....the frame holes are 1.5" the bushings are 1.25" i'm having washers made thay i'm goint to tack weld to the sleeve on the es bushing

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Scott, if the washers were stepped, or stamped in the ID, it would located them without needing to be welded.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
              Scott, if the washers were stepped, or stamped in the ID, it would located them without needing to be welded.
              this is what i was thinking of. but i could think of what tool would do the job. like a resest punch then cut out the bottom.

the bushing cant be to far off from stock because i have 3/16 plate on my frame, so i cant be dropping the body down to low over the frame, might get some kick back from it.

Comment

Use a hydraulic press. find a solid ring with an inside diameter equal to the part you want to remain level, then find a solid round piece to push in the center, it will cone or step the washer depending on the diameter difference.

If you don't have a hydraulic press it's pretty easy to make, just make a metal box frame and put a hydraulic bottle jack in the bottom and some kind of plate at the top. I'm sure that's not something you really need help with though lol.

Comment

just need something to hold the bushing in place while the car gets reassembles.....prob some rtv would do the trick also.....you will see what i'm talking about soon enough

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic View Post
                    Use a hydraulic press. find a solid ring with an inside diameter equal to the part you want to remain level, then find a solid round piece to push in the center, it will cone or step the washer depending on the diameter difference.

If you don't have a hydraulic press it's pretty easy to make, just make a metal box frame and put a hydraulic bottle jack in the bottom and some kind of plate at the top. I'm sure that's not something you really need help with though lol.
                    reminds me of my "Strong arm" c-clamp.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I figured as much lol

Comment

Originally posted by 351-lincoln View Post
                        this is what i was thinking of. but i could think of what tool would do the job. like a resest punch then cut out the bottom.

the bushing cant be to far off from stock because i have 3/16 plate on my frame, so i cant be dropping the body down to low over the frame, might get some kick back from it.
                        They are very cloes to the same hieght, and since they are poly, and newer, they will be more supportive. The stock bodymounts on my car let it move all over the place. I can't tell the vertical change, but the horizontal shift of the chassis and body is about 1/2".

The specs on the ES bushings are here body mount/isolators

Comment

The front fenders on my car will shift side to side about 3/4" relative to the frame. Depends which way the last hard turn was how it sits when I park it. The fenders also dance and flop over uneven pavement and I'm pretty sure I can feel the body bouncing off the frame at times. The lower part of the rubber body mount over the rear axle is completely gone too. Its on the list for new mounts as soon as time and supplies permit. I'm getting tired of it.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i really cant mess with this too much. on the front of the frame the gas lines run on top of the frame, wish is 3/16 taller than facory now. so if the bushings are smaller than factory i could have problems, AND if they are to much taller ill be looking silly showing to much frame...keep in mind im a little on the obsesive compulsive side.

i edited this because i didnt see something that was writen already..... i feel i may need to come back and respell. i have left the super bowl party.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                              They are very cloes to the same hieght, and since they are poly, and newer, they will be more supportive. The stock bodymounts on my car let it move all over the place. I can't tell the vertical change, but the horizontal shift of the chassis and body is about 1/2".

The specs on the ES bushings are here body mount/isolators

http://energysuspension.com/pages/univ1.html
                              are you saying you car shift from side to side with these new bushings

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                                The front fenders on my car will shift side to side about 3/4" relative to the frame. Depends which way the last hard turn was how it sits when I park it. The fenders also dance and flop over uneven pavement and I'm pretty sure I can feel the body bouncing off the frame at times. The lower part of the rubber body mount over the rear axle is completely gone too. Its on the list for new mounts as soon as time and supplies permit. I'm getting tired of it.
                                there is no lower part of that body bushing.

Comment

Working...
                                X