No announcement yet.

wide ratio vs stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't quite say that. There are other things that can be done to the car that will result in better performance for less money.

One of them being actually changing the rear end gear. Which will tend to help mileage anyways depending on your driving environment and how extreme you go with the gears, and give you better acceleration EVERYWHERE!

An HO conversion usually costs about the same as the wide-ratio, and will usually yield the same or better mileage, and give you better acceleration EVERYWHERE!

It's an expensive upgrade, and you only realize the performance gain in less than 5% of your driving, since it's mostly 1st gear. It's nice, don't get me wrong, but a nice shift kit and a rebuilt, and put the money towards some more cost effecting upgrades would be the route that I would take. When I did the wide ration, I already had an HO, LSD, and 3.55 gears, so it was the logical next step......though I did end up putting a 5 speed in it within 12 months.

Comment

the engine has already had its upgrades so now im down to drivetrain. id like to get a 2400 stall and a deep pan on this aod to go with the forward manual VB ive been wating to put in and then look at 4.10s

if you wanted to know hte motor has an explorer can in it and ill have 1.7 roller rockers soon
      flowtech shorties
      edlebrock performer rpm air gap and a holley 600 4 barrel
      E7 heads with the thermactor bumps removed

Comment

Put at least a 3000 stall in it. Also why not just do a full 4r70w swap and get a controller, then you can tune the shift points however you want, and wont have to worry about getting a valve body and tv cable tuned in right on a gear set is was never intended to work with.

Just my 2 cents

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
        Big plans

Comment

i work on the poor mans budget like a lot of us

would that really work or am i gonna have to modify the crossmember and get a bellhousing adapter
          Last edited by import convert; 04-16-2010, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Remember the bell housing bolt pattern is different on the AOD and 4R70W trans.

I would still suggest going with a rebuild, shift kit, and converter (3000 stall for sure, 2400 is pretty tame, that's what I had but I wasn't drag racing either). And then look at getting a new rear end gear. In the end you may have to do the conversion anyways, as the stock AOD planetary set isn't the strongest. The 4R70W stands for 4 gear rations, with 700ft*lbs
            Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 04-16-2010, 09:21 AM.

Comment

i guess they had 2 different bellhousings on hte 4r70w and the one off of a 4.2v6 will work.

the aod i have now has maybe 60k onit and for 80 bucks the baumann valvebody kits look good so it might look like a deal. just get a B or A servo for the OD band and what not.

today im gonna order up a lokar tv cable so that will be good

Comment

The v6 4r70w have the same bellhousing as a 302 and will bolt right up, and a bone stock one is supposedly good for 400 ft. Lbs. I still say go with the full swap the controller is only $500 find a tranny and the junkyard for $500 then toss quick rebuild on it. Your still probly gonna be in it for less than you would have building a wide rAtio aod and you have to buy a 4r70 to build the aod, so why not just by a v6 one and use the whole thing.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                Big plans

Comment

That sounds like a good plan there. And those prices are very conservative, as I am sure you could find both for a good bit less than $500 each if you spent some time looking.

Comment

ill have to think about it. i still need to find out if the cross members are close enough together so i dont need to add another bracket under the car (mine has the one hole for the AOD only). some had different output shaft sizes too so i need to get the right slip yoke too

Comment

You can always drill the holes for the cross member like I did when I did the T5 swap.

Comment

you have the crossmember that has 2 sets of holes one for the aod and another forward set for a possible c4 swap. mine is half that. just one plate with a centerd hole for the aod mount. so like cut your plates in half and thats what i got. like they figured the second set of holes was not needed anymore

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
                          The V6 4R70W have the same bellhousing as a 302 and will bolt right up, and a bone stock one is supposedly good for 400 ft. Lbs. I still say go with the full swap tRe controller is only $500 find a tranny and the junkyard for $500 then toss quick rebuild on it. Your still probably gonna be in it for less than you would have building a wide ratio aod and you have to buy a 4R70W to build the AOD, so why not just buy a v6 one and use the whole thing.
                          Is it a fact the V6 4R70W will bolt up to a 302/351? Which years and models should I be searching for?

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                          Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                          5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X