Play by Play AOD Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
    Yes, Lincoln AODs are longer than the ford/mercury car AODs.

Replace the trans mount, since I'm almost willing to bet money, that the rubber is a jello consistancy now.

Does the trans slip? Miss any gears?
    Leaks from everywhere. Took it to a trans shop and they said all the seals are bad. It sat for 15 yrs apparently and its the factory trans so Im guessing its time for a little overhaul.

But since the truck one is as long as a lincoln AOD could I use one from a 2wd f-150?
    Town Coupe [X]
    Mark VI [ ]
    Grand Marquis Coupe [ ]
    Crown Victoria Coupe
    [ ]

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
      Good call on tranny mount. They're cheap, too - $10ish for a rubber one and $20ish for a poly one. IIRC, I bought a Prothane for a '73 Mustang that bolted right in.

I just got the trolley tranny jack from Harbor Freight for $103 after bringing a 20%-off coupon and a printout of the $130 Internet price. The stupid scissor jack isn't much less than that, is a huge headache to use, and is good for dropping transmissions on your head (at least in my experience).
      At that cheap its a must for the mounts.

Good deal on the trans jack. I always see it on sale.
      Town Coupe [X]
      Mark VI [ ]
      Grand Marquis Coupe [ ]
      Crown Victoria Coupe
      [ ]

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        the FE motor has a totally different bellhouse. No idea why they'd say a 390 will bolt to an AOD. The FE motors don't share a bell with anything else as far as I'm aware.

and yes, Lincolns take Lincoln AODs. The shift levers are different depending on application. Mark VII is floor shift, Townies and Contis are column. 90-92 AOD Towncars are cable shift, which is yet another different lever. They are interchangeable but it requires minor surgery on the trans to swap it out.

if this is a Mark 7 as your name and avatar seem to imply, the trans mount is odd and unique on a VII. Its 2 rubber biscuit things that go under the crossmember. the trans bolts straight to the crossmember instead of to a rubber block like Panthers and most everything else uses. You also need to remove the H pipe assembly from a VII to get the trans out.
        Its for the Town Coupe. Since the ford truck AOD is the correct length I wouldnt have to modify anything? 2WD f-150s are column shift arent they?
        Town Coupe [X]
        Mark VI [ ]
        Grand Marquis Coupe [ ]
        Crown Victoria Coupe
        [ ]

Comment

I dont know for sure that truck transmissions are the same length. Measure it. No idea about the linkage. I've never worked on a truck with an AOD. I wouldn't really trust one truth to tell. Most of the time things with AODs go to the yard because the bushing fell apart and the trans died. If all that ails yours is leaks, then seals are cheap and easy to install. There are all of 4 on the AOD. Input shaft seal, tailshaft seal, shift shaft seal, and an O ring on the dipstick tube. The fittings for the coolers may or may not be quick connects. If they are, those fail. The pan gasket gets changed when the trans is serviced. For under 100 bucks, you can make that thing tight as a drum, assuming that its mechanically operational. The 80-85 AOD is by far the weakest of the bunch though, so I wouldn't spend any time messing with it unless its known to work and you aren't planning to soup up the motor at all.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

^^ Good info about replacing the seals. I take it they tend to dry out on any AOD that's been sitting?
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

if you replace the transmission... forgot to mention to swap out the speedo gear so it matches the gear ratio in rear as long as ratios in transmission are same as your car
              Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                ^^ Good info about replacing the seals. I take it they tend to dry out on any AOD that's been sitting?
                Not specifically AODs, but just rubber seals in general. Motors that sat for a long time are usually very leaky when brought out of hibernation too.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Logical enough. Sounds like I should look into doing the same, since I'm intending to install an AOD that's been in hibernation for an essentially unknown period of time. I imagine a transmission shop can provide the needed seals (if I can remember the name of the friendly performance-transmission place I visited once), but is there a particular source you prefer?

Comment

you can get them from most parts stores. the shift shaft seal maybe not but Scott got one for my Towncar at Autozone so it must not be all that impossible to obtain these things. For the output shaft seal, you want the long one if possible. There are two available, one looks like a regular seal, the other looks like its got an extended cone on it. The extended cone is a dust seal that helps keep junk out of the fluid seal so it lasts a little longer.

Comment

I dont know for sure that truck transmissions are the same length. Measure it. No idea about the linkage. I've never worked on a truck with an AOD. I wouldn't really trust one truth to tell. Most of the time things with AODs go to the yard because the bushing fell apart and the trans died. If all that ails yours is leaks, then seals are cheap and easy to install. There are all of 4 on the AOD. Input shaft seal, tailshaft seal, shift shaft seal, and an O ring on the dipstick tube. The fittings for the coolers may or may not be quick connects. If they are, those fail. The pan gasket gets changed when the trans is serviced. For under 100 bucks, you can make that thing tight as a drum, assuming that its mechanically operational. The 80-85 AOD is by far the weakest of the bunch though, so I wouldn't spend any time messing with it unless its known to work and you aren't planning to soup up the motor at all.

Im not sure what seals they are. He said something about each clutch has a seal and if the first ones bad there all bad??? Im not to familiar with trans work. If its possible for me to do Ill do it. I just dont want to start on something way over my head.
                      Town Coupe [X]
                      Mark VI [ ]
                      Grand Marquis Coupe [ ]
                      Crown Victoria Coupe
                      [ ]

Comment

if its just leaking fluid but otherwise operates, its no big deal. If its got problems that don't allow it to shift and function properly, thats a different story entirely. Can you actually drive the car down the road and have all 4 gears operate like they should?

Comment

if its just leaking fluid but otherwise operates, its no big deal. If its got problems that don't allow it to shift and function properly, thats a different story entirely. Can you actually drive the car down the road and have all 4 gears operate like they should?
                          Yea. When its full of fluid it works fine. Then all the fluid drains out and it slips.
                          Town Coupe [X]
                          Mark VI [ ]
                          Grand Marquis Coupe [ ]
                          Crown Victoria Coupe
                          [ ]

Comment

ok, no big deal then. The pan gasket and rear seal are by far the easiest to do. If you can change valve cover gaskets, you can do a pan gasket. The tailshaft seal requires removing the drive shaft, but once thats out its pretty simple. Just pop the seal out and replace it. If the trans lines have those stupid quick connect fittings that leak (look for a plastic ring at the threaded bit where the metal line goes into it), those are sort of a pain in the ass, but mostly because of where they are. Trans dipstick is a simple O ring, but the dipstick is held by one of the trans bellhouse bolts. Mildly irritating to access, but really not that bad. The front seal requires dropping the trans out to fix, and the shift shaft seal could be a little bit involved. Luckily its not a huge leak point.

Comment

So basically those five seals - tailshaft, input shaft, pan, dipstick O-ring, and shift shaft seal? Should be quite easy with the unit out of the car.

Comment

Are those 5 the only possible leak points? Nothing is leaking now but it would be nice to know all of 'em so I can eliminate possibilities when it DOES leak rather, those 5 plus the front seal
                                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Working...
                                X