Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gadget73
    replied
    you wont know what sort of internal damage may be done to a trans unless the pan comes off. This is specifically why I think flushing transmissions is a really bad idea.

Leave a comment:

• 88Vic
    replied
    I had the shop flush the tranny fluid, all of it throughout the tranny, not just what was in the pan so the pan didn't come off. It shifts a lot smoother but still grinds when going into OD, but like LTDMan83 said it doesn't do it when i'm harder on the gas, i'm hoping the OD band is worn out and that's it. I'm gonna just drive it in 3rd from now on unless i'm driving on the highway for a while.

Leave a comment:

• 86VickyLX
    replied
    The collection of metal in the trans pan will tell you....

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    grinding may well be U joints. It should definitely not do that.

Leave a comment:

• LTDMan83
    replied
    My old stock AOD would do the Clunk/Rhythmic Vibration thing when shifting into OD at 1/4 throttle. With the throttle down any further it wouldn't clunk into OD, and would shift smoothly. My current rebuilt AOD w/ 50K on it is doesn't clunk into overdrive regardless of throttle position, and is smooth as butter all the way through its gears, you can barely even feel it shifting. Which is how I like it to be in a Luxo Ride.

Leave a comment:

• sly
    replied
    that's probably what you'll need to do then. As long as it's JUST od that does it... it's probably the solenoid/band that needs replacing. If that's all... the rebuild may not be that bad depending on the shop. But it will probably run $500 at least.

Leave a comment:

• 88Vic
    replied
    If it needs a rebuild, i'll treat it like my old Vic and not use overdrive at all.

Leave a comment:

• sly
    replied
    .... not good. slush boxes should NEVER sound like that. You're looking at a serious rebuild... probably complete set of gears. You may luck out and it's just the clutches completely roasted and metal on metal... but keep in mind... it may be a serious rebuild.

Leave a comment:

• 88Vic
    replied
    It's actually more of a grinding, like when you're trying to shift a manual into a gear and the engine speed isn't quite right, so it grinds. Or like when trying to shift a manual without the clutch at all, sounds like gears grinding. I'm about to take it to have the tranny fluid and filter changed, i'll have them check the pan and fluid for metal deposits to make sure nothing is too bad.

Leave a comment:

• sly
    replied
    I think of it as more of a lurch than a clunk. I've never heard the actual shift to call it a clunk. the shift kit I have in my 88 now does make it kick like a mule though... that and the HD parts.

Leave a comment:

• 1987cp
    replied
    Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    a properly working stock aod will clunk into 4th gear under light throttle

Leave a comment:

• Lincolnmania
    replied
    a properly working aod will clunk into 4th gear under light throttle

Leave a comment:

• 86VickyLX
    replied
    Originally posted by slymer View Post
    yeah... shouldn't be a clunk when it shifts... just a bit of a kick in the ass so to speak (jar the car a bit). If there's an audible clunk of metal... something needs attention. I've got the "A" solenoid and band in my AOD and it kicks like a mule if you ease it into OD at about 47mph... but nothing clunks.
    It clunks. The Mark VII guys have been bitching about them since they were new...

Leave a comment:

• sly
    replied
    yeah... shouldn't be a clunk when it shifts... just a bit of a kick in the ass so to speak (jar the car a bit). If there's an audible clunk of metal... something needs attention. I've got the "A" solenoid and band in my AOD and it kicks like a mule if you ease it into OD at about 47mph... but nothing clunks.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    AODs are clunky. If the trans mount is shot or if the U joints are sloppy, they clunk worse though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X