No announcement yet.

Changing tranny fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothign was mentioned how much to tighten the filter to the tranny, but i did 8-9 foot pounds
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Sounds like a plan! Done and running?

Pete
      Originally posted by gadget73
      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Yup, she's all buttoned up and running!! i no longer have that weird OD double shift!!!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

woot!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I will be keeping a more consistent 30k interval tranny fluid change then lol

Thanks for all your help guys, couldn't of done it without you!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

so a partial drain and fill is better than nothing?

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
              1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
              88 CVLX
              01 Marquis

Comment

yeah, but since you have a torque converter drain, theres not really much reason not to do the whole thing.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by piranah View Post
                  so a partial drain and fill is better than nothing?
                  Definitely. Let's assume you have a 12-quart tranny with no drain in the torque converter, and you can get four quarts out of the pan using the suck and fill method (i.e. stick a clean tube down the dipstick tube, pump out used fluid, and replace with fresh fluid). Would you rather have your tranny running with 100% used or 66.6% used and 33.3% fresh? If you drive for a short distance and do it a second time (which can be done conveniently with the suck and fill method), you would get another 33.3% of the remaining used fluid, leaving you with about 44.4% used and 55.6% fresh, but at the cost of wasting about 1.3 quarts of fresh fluid. Do it again (for a total of 12 quarts of fresh fluid) and you're down to 29.6% used and 70.4% fresh, but you've wasted over 3.5 quarts of fresh fluid. When I did mine (which has a torque converter drain), I got about nine of 13 liters out, so it's about 70% fresh after a single change.

I like the concept of doing the fluid change with the car running and collecting the used fluid being pumped out while allowing the tranny to suck in fresh fluid, but I've seen someone comment that even this results in the fresh fluid being mixed with the used fluid, so you'll never get 100% fresh. At the end of the day, it's a matter of what you're comfortable with.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                  mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I've never liked those flush things. It doesn't change the filter, and you don't find out if there are any surprises in the pan that you need to start saving money to deal with. Ford transmissions have a torque converter drain. You get probably 80% of the fluid between the pan and the converter. If the fluid wasnt' completely horrible, thats good enough. If it was so bad that an 80% change isn't enough, you've got deeper problems than the bit of leftover fluid.

Even on cars with no drain, if you service your trans at reasonable intervals its fine.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sorry for the delay, no I changed it all out, all ther fluid, pan and converter.

I have to straighten the pan out again cause it leaks if its sits idle for a while

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                      X