Cooler Heat with Compressor Running Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooler Heat with Compressor Running Settings

Drove the 90 tonight for the first fairly long trip in cold weather since I "fixed" the A/C.

In settings where the compressor runs (aka anything but floor/vent/off), the heat is cooler, lukewarm is a good estimate.

Change the setting to floor or vent, and it warms up substantially and fogs the windows in short order.

No antifreeze smell ever.

I suspect the evaporator is freezing. Thoughts?
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Is the A/C cold? If the evaporator is freezing that may be low refrigerant.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

The A/C was cold this summer. It's fairly cold outside so it pretty much blows ice cubes on the A/C setting at this point.

When I charged it, I stopped short of a full charge to see if it held pressure. So it seems likely the evaporator is freezing up.

I just found it strange that it was so cold that the heater core couldn't heat it, or maybe the air flow was blocked with ice.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Could it be that in other positions like "defroster" the doors are not closing off fully to allow full heat and you are partially pulling in cold air to dilute the heat?
        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Its supposed to cycle off the low pressure switch. There isn't any sort of timer or any elaborate control. The idea is that between low outside temps and low airflow through the mostly-shut blend door it will pulse the compressor once in a while and the evaporator will be cold enough to suck some moisture out.

If the compressor just stays on, the switch is probably f'd. I've had problems with these failing the other way, never closing so the compressor runs, but either way the switches just don't seem amazing on these. Oddly enough the OE Motorshaft are the ones I've had the most issue with. Had 2 NOS not work right out of the box. The no-name ones from the parts store that went on for replacements have all been just fine.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The compressor does cycle but may not be running the correct amount.
            I unplugged the compressor to verify and everything is toasty without the compressor working.
            I guess I'll throw the gauges on there and see what it's up to. Never had to use them in December before.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

also makes me wonder how good your blend door seal is. Shouldn't be enough air flow through that thing when set to full hot for the evaporator temp to really matter.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X