Fuel sending unit problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel sending unit problem?

I have an 85 GM that I daily and all of a sudden it seems like my fuel gauge is staying at 3/4 tank, usually I get about 50 miles out of a quarter tank but right now I'm at 87 miles on my trip minder and it's just a needle below 3/4. There's also a "low fuel" module in the dash that's been hanging loose since I replaced my heater core. You guys think I'll need a new sending unit or is it some other problem?

Does the low fuel level module work? The 89 had a fluky fuel reading but the low fuel module worked correctly and illuminated at the correct time. I guess it might have been the gauge or wires to the gauge but I never corrected the issue.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

If the module is hanging, check the wires to fatigue. There may be something loose that's messing with you... or you managed to get that tank that much fuller. Now once you get to around 100 miles or so and it's still not moved, you know something's up.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
        If the module is hanging, check the wires to fatigue. There may be something loose that's messing with you... or you managed to get that tank that much fuller. Now once you get to around 100 miles or so and it's still not moved, you know something's up.
        Well today I drove it and at 150 miles it's between 1/4 and 1/2 tank so between better gas and driving 55 everywhere I might just be getting that much better gas mileage

Comment

Sounds about right. Enjoy.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
          X