I gots a Pulse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gots a Pulse

I've had this problem for a little while now...getting annoyed by it.

when I'm between like 600-1500 rpm, all of my lights pulse with the engine rpm...once it gets above 1500rpm, its pretty solid.
    when it did this before, it was the fuse for my fog lamps...and that got disconnected when I replaced the red cable for the battery...just havent hooked it up yet.

is it maybe a bad regulator in the alternator or something?

it has done this on and off since I bought the car in Nov. 04...I have gone thru....2 alternators...I'm on my 3rd.
    still has the same battery in it that it did when I bought it...an Interstate Battery.
    I havent had any trouble with it...other than the corroded cable...and sometimes I've left my headlamps on and drained it..its happened a few times.

any ideas?
    the only thing I'm thinking of is doing the "3G Conversion" that Bobert did to his old Merk...sure did keep the lights bright and smooth after that.
    sigpic
    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Same problem here. I'm waiting for it to catch fire and burn to the ground. I replaced the external VR and it seemed to quell the pulsating for a while. Now its back at it again. I have several other alternators, one looks like its new. I may put one on if the condition worsens. Not sure what to do. If you've changed alternators, maybe you should try the external VR, if your car even has one. Mines on the drivers fender. Little metal box. Some cars had internal regulators in the alt. If thats the case with you, then its probably not the regulator as you would have gotten a different one with a different alt.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

mine has the VR in the Alternator...it sux.
      sigpic
      1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

If the lights are pulsating, there's got to be something wrong somewhere in the charging circuit. If it's the internal voltage regulator, that'll go away when installing a new alternator. If only I had time to jaunt out there (family visit complications ....), I've got a spare you can toss on to see. However, I think AutoZone will pick up on it being bad if you take the alternator in for testing while the car's getting the new motor put in. If the alternator/regulator unit tests good, it's time to start looking for excessive resistance in the wiring - specifically, the two big black wires and the small yellow wire should show very little resistance to the positive battery cable. A $15 digital multimeter from Wally Mart should be sufficient for testing needs, or maybe your unc has a nice Fluke multimeter you can borrow.

Hope this helps!
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I'll have my uncle check it out...see what he can come up with.
          sigpic
          1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

its pretty common. clean the engine to body grounds, but don't expect much. Its the voltage regulator kicking in and out, or you've got a bad diode bridge in the alternator. I fixed this on mine after the stock alternator caught fire. No pulse with the 3g, though I'm on my third one of those since mid '05.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok, thanx for the ideas mang!
              sigpic
              1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Land Yacht View Post
                I've had this problem for a little while now...getting annoyed by it.

when I'm between like 600-1500 rpm, all of my lights pulse with the engine rpm...once it gets above 1500rpm, its pretty solid.
                when it did this before, it was the fuse for my fog lamps...and that got disconnected when I replaced the red cable for the battery...just havent hooked it up yet.

is it maybe a bad regulator in the alternator or something?

it has done this on and off since I bought the car in Nov. 04...I have gone thru....2 alternators...I'm on my 3rd.
                still has the same battery in it that it did when I bought it...an Interstate Battery.
                I havent had any trouble with it...other than the corroded cable...and sometimes I've left my headlamps on and drained it..its happened a few times.

any ideas?
                the only thing I'm thinking of is doing the "3G Conversion" that Bobert did to his old Merk...sure did keep the lights bright and smooth after that.
                The only time my lights do that is when the car is in a gear other than Park or Neutral. Only at neutral. My battery has been drained several times lol. When my voltage regulator gave out, and when my alternator caught on fire. That's a reliable battery too. It's a Deka. I think I could've gotten a bigger battery for the car actually. it's smaller than it's battery box.

And on the subject of alternators. How do I tell what the amperage of my new alternator is? I don't see any things that say what it is. I got it out of an '86 Town Car, it's remanufatured, and a little bit bigger than my older one. But it fits right into the bracket, if that helps at all.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                  However, I think AutoZone will pick up on it being bad if you take the alternator in for testing while the car's getting the new motor put in.
                  When I got my alternator from the junkyard, I took it to AutoZone for testing. They couldn't even get a reading. They said it was no good. I took the thing home, threw it in the car, and started her. She stayed running without being connected to the battery. It charged the battery too. So you can't always trust them. In my opinion, go to a few places to get an accurate reading. Like a second opinion from a doctor. Just a little warning.

Comment

not a bad idea at all.
                    I got 2 auto parts places(Auto Zone/Advance) right next to each other...I could test it at both of them if need be.
                    sigpic
                    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                      And on the subject of alternators. How do I tell what the amperage of my new alternator is? I don't see any things that say what it is. I got it out of an '86 Town Car, it's remanufatured, and a little bit bigger than my older one. But it fits right into the bracket, if that helps at all.
                      Just from my experience, the one I've seen that's physically larger is the 100-amp externally regulated version that went on police-package models. I was going to buy one for the '87 until I realized it was externally regulated, at which point I decided it was tons easier to stay stock with the 65-amp 2G. Seems to be working great with the homemade harness, too.
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

She stayed running without being connected to the battery. It charged the battery too.
                        Bad idea to do that on an EFI car. The battery is required to keep voltage stable. You run a high risk of toasting the alternator and/or the electrical system by trying to run the car with no alternator.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the damage is worse with no battery...

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                          '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                          '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

When I got my alternator from the junkyard, I took it to AutoZone for testing. They couldn't even get a reading. They said it was no good. I took the thing home, threw it in the car, and started her. She stayed running without being connected to the battery. It charged the battery too. So you can't always trust them. In my opinion, go to a few places to get an accurate reading. Like a second opinion from a doctor. Just a little warning.
                            Look at the part number. Mine starts with 100A, hence 100 amps. Oops, I quoted the wrong post. Meant to quote how to tell amperage of the alt.
                            Last edited by P72Ford; 08-24-2007, 06:02 PM.
                            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

See above post. This is the one I meant to quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X