Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another huge problem with lights this time. Please help me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The plug that goes directly into the headlight switch. should be 12-17 wires coming out of it depending if you have the autolamp feature. The easiest way to get the switch out is not technically the correct way of doing it but it is 1000x easier, and the way i always do it. Pull the knob off the switch, sometimes they are on there really good so you have to pull pretty hard. unscrew the little ring behind the knob. Remove the piece of the dash that covers the left side of the dash (over the speedo, etc.) Then there are four screws holding the switch in place, take those out and it should slide out some. I cant remember how much slack is on those wires but you should at least be able to tell if the connecter is all melted and burnt.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

I have more than one plug going into mine.

Comment

Check the grounds by the tailights behind the trunk coverings, those have a habit of rusting out and causing wacky electrical gremlins

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
        My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Out of curiosity, what would I have to do, if I wanted to put the autolamp feature on my vic? What would I need? Does my car already have the wiring I need?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
            I have more than one plug going into mine.

Sounds right; if I remember right, the smaller plug is for the dash and interior lights - I think.

BTW, here's what my headlight switch looks like

... though I really need to swap it for one of these so I can operate the parking lamps independently:

2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
            X