Starting Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Issues

I need some verification. Occasionally (once a week) when I go to start my car, the starter just wheels over and winds way up. It is not turning the motor over at all when this happens. Sometimes I turn the key off, and when I try again in a few seconds it starts. Sometimes I have to do this more than once. It does it when its hot, and when its cold (on occasions). Well today it did it to me three times. Is the starter just not engaging all the way? Should I just go get a new one and put it on? The one on there is not all that old, if my memory serves. The connections on it appear to all be good. There is nothing loose, burned, frayed, etc.

Anyone have any thoughts? I need to do something soon as I have a feeling this is going to become more common. Thanks in advance.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

There's a little gear in the starter called the bendix. When you turn the key it applies electricity to the bendix, and it kicks out and that's what turns your flywheel to start your engine. Your problem is that the bendix is getting stuck and isn't quite kicking out all the way. My Town Car has had this problem the whole time I've had it (nearly two years now). Sometimes it cranks first try, sometimes it doesn't. If it refuses to kick out you can get underneath the car and smack the starter with something heavy to unstick the bendix, but that'll only work for so long. The only way to fix it is to replace it.

Comment

yeah sounds like the starter is wearing/worn. Chevy starters also are known to do this, especially when cold. The grease gunks up and they just sit there and whirr. Could be that its a reman, but they didn't rebuild the bendix drive, or didn't do it properly.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yup. time for a new starter.
        Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
        AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
        Open/Lock/Ratio #
        -----------------------
        G / H / 2.26
        B / C / 2.47
        8 / M / 2.73
        7 / - / 3.07
        Y / Z / 3.08
        4 / D / 3.42
        F / R / 3.45
        5 / E / 3.27
        6 / W / 3.73
        2 / K / 3.55
        A / - / 3.63
        J / - / 3.85

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          yeah sounds like the starter is wearing/worn. Chevy starters also are known to do this, especially when cold. The grease gunks up and they just sit there and whirr. Could be that its a reman, but they didn't rebuild the bendix drive, or didn't do it properly.
          Yeah, it happened to one of the S-10 delivery trucks at work. The old fat man (who swears in every sentence) that drives it got stuck half an hour away from the shop (at a mechanic's, ironically) because of it. You can imagine how funny that was.

I wouldn't worry about it too much P72. With the S10 it started doing it one day and by the second day it was completely gone. My Town Car has been doing it for nearly two years and I still haven't replaced it, and won't until it gets bad enough to worry about. If it's only once in a while, whatever.

Comment

Well, the car did it like 6 times this morning before I could start it. I went and bought a new starter this morning. The focus of my car is reliability, and the starter on there just isn't cutting it. I still have to put it on; but I have another thought. Could the cause of it not engaging all the way be low voltage? I don't think thats a problem, and all the wiring appears to be solid. When it cranks, it cranks right up too, so it doesn't seem like the voltage (or contact) is bad.
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

It's possible, but I wouldn't think so. As far as I know, it's everything or nothing. If you have enough voltage, it'll kick out. If you don't, it won't at all. Kicking out and spinning is kind of a packaged deal, if you have one without the other then there's usually something wrong with the starter.

You can even take the starter out and hook it up to a 12v source and watch the bendix fly out if you're curious about it. It's a pretty neat thing to see, just for the heck of it.

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                I need some verification. Occasionally (once a week) when I go to start my car, the starter just wheels over and winds way up. It is not turning the motor over at all when this happens. Sometimes I turn the key off, and when I try again in a few seconds it starts. Sometimes I have to do this more than once. It does it when its hot, and when its cold (on occasions). Well today it did it to me three times. Is the starter just not engaging all the way? Should I just go get a new one and put it on? The one on there is not all that old, if my memory serves. The connections on it appear to all be good. There is nothing loose, burned, frayed, etc.

Anyone have any thoughts? I need to do something soon as I have a feeling this is going to become more common. Thanks in advance.
                Is this the problem I am dealing with? P72 Ford, when it happens, does the starter get really loud and make a high pitched almost grinding noise?

Comment

Before you do the swap, could you try to get a sound media for it? To compare it with what my car does.

Comment

If the starter doesn't engage all the way, you'll hear a high pitch sound like a drill, and if its throwing out a bit, it might grind.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Shit. Well folks, today my dad was kind enough to change my starter. (I'm very busy now, and just couldn't find the time). So, after I bought the starter he warned me: it could be that you're missing some teeth on the flywheel. What the hell dad, you don't know anything.

Well, it needs a flywheel. He turned the motor over by hand and examined the flywheel carefully. In some places, half the teeth are missing. So I ordered a new one from Ford. $70, and it'll be here next week. I will NOT be changing it myself though. My mechanic friend said he'd do it for $150 (and for that I'd do it myself); but then he said he'd make a deal with me. If I move a broach from his house, he'll put it in for nothing. Its a god damn deal! Should be in next week some time. I'll also have to buy a new drive for my new starter, because its probably going to get fucked. Oh well.

The bottom line: when your old man has been wrenching for years, he probably knows what he's saying. Do not dismiss his advice.

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                        Shit. Well folks, today my dad was kind enough to change my starter. (I'm very busy now, and just couldn't find the time). So, after I bought the starter he warned me: it could be that you're missing some teeth on the flywheel. What the hell dad, you don't know anything.

Well, it needs a flywheel. He turned the motor over by hand and examined the flywheel carefully. In some places, half the teeth are missing. So I ordered a new one from Ford. $70, and it'll be here next week. I will NOT be changing it myself though. My mechanic friend said he'd do it for $150 (and for that I'd do it myself); but then he said he'd make a deal with me. If I move a broach from his house, he'll put it in for nothing. Its a god damn deal! Should be in next week some time. I'll also have to buy a new drive for my new starter, because its probably going to get fucked. Oh well.

The bottom line: when your old man has been wrenching for years, he probably knows what he's saying. Do not dismiss his advice.
                        Couldn't agree with you more!

Originally posted by Gadget73 View Post
                        If the starter doesn't engage all the way, you'll hear a high pitch sound like a drill, and if its throwing out a bit, it might grind.
                        Oh thank god, Next time I'm under there I'll check it out. Check my flywheel too. Probably mines fucked too.

Comment

Working...
                        X