heater is REALLY broken now....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heater is REALLY broken now....

Ok so the heater in my lincoln has now stopped working, even with the quick fix of unplugging the vacuum hose right behind the glove box that goes to a heater control dashpot of some kind. Now when I turn to "FLOOR" nothing happens but a strange noise in the dash like a sucking sound. Any ideas?
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

vacuum line? Sucking like vacuum?

Comment

well the sucking noise is the unhooked vacuum line, the no blower would be the thermal blower lockout. Its installed on one of the heater hoses under the hood, has the orange and black wires, and the blue and black vacuum lines. Jumper the wires together and seal off the vacuum hoses and you'll have heat again. The lack of control is a bad internal air temperature sensor, which is located under the dash pad above the glove box.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

damn Thain, you really know your stuff! So I can just remove that stupid "T" fitting with the vacuum lines all together? And by jumper you mean connect the two wires, right?
        1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Yes, thats what he means. Or you could just get a new part and fix it right. They don't cost that much and Ford still has them.
          89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

what does that thermal blower lockout DO anyways?

Comment

keeps the blower motor off till the coolant is to tempature......they shit the bed often.....the new ones from the parts stores splode and make a mess

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

yeah, I had one blow up on me, and the vacuum portion of it leaked horribly, so I never used it. The brandy new Chineese part lasted 2 or 3 weeks I think. Personally I don't mind using my brain enough to remember to not switch the heat on till after I've been driving a couple minutes. I actually have been meaning to experiment with the sensor out of a Mark VII and a relay circuit, but its been low priority. Might do it sometime when I get bored. The Mark VII piece is a sensor sort of like the ECM's temperature sensor, but its an on/off switch at 120F. Its low current so I'd need a relay, and its in a metal fitting that wont explode like the stock part. The relay would also carry the current to keep it from failing like the original does.

Only reason I know as much as I do about the ATC is because I've had to fix mine. It had leaks, bad sensors, burned off vac lines from after the fire, bad soup can, etc. It used to be really horrible, but it works perfectly now. Its really not a complicated system once you get used to how it functions, only a couple things are failure prone and they all have different symptoms.
                Last edited by gadget73; 10-03-2007, 11:29 PM.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X