heat comes out of vents when vents are off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heat comes out of vents when vents are off

took the car to philly yesterday (7 people fit comfortable in there by the way) and well when i was driving i put my fingers up to the vents and heat was slowly coming out and it would come out more and more when i pressed the gas and it would be hotter. Whats your opion on it guys? By the way from yesterdays trip i figured out that i need to redo the valve cover seals ( leaking oil) yep and i also need to do the spark plug wires cause u can hear them interfering with the radio.
    sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Could be the blend door not closing all the way. Mine used to do that, then I took off the thermal blower lockout switch and replaced my ATC sensor and it seems to have stopped
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

sounds like a vacuum leak. They default to hot defrost in the event of vacuum loss to the climate control head. I'm guessing you have ATC ? Might want to check the soup can for problems.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I got the same problem and I don't have a ATC....I checked vacuum lines and all and the soup can looks fine. Any way to test the can or should I look for something particular?
        The Best
        Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

what is the replacement for soup can if it's leaking?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
          302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
          k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

since yesterday i´ve got the same problems...
            but i don´t have ATC,
            the air alway blows from the defrost openings on the dash... if i swich to "vent" it only blows out there when i kicked the gas and let the car run whitout accelerating (higher vacuum inside the lines) if i accelerate, it swiches "automatically" to defrost...
            when im swiching to "floor" nothing happens, it just blows out all the air through the defrost-holes...
            when i shut off the engine, i can hear a quite hiss from the control panel, and i hear the soup can filling up with air...

i think, a vacuum-line is broken or the swich is damaged, the soup can is ok...
            btw. has anybody a control panel?
            Living in a Box

Comment

^Sounds like the door is either stuck, or the vacuum line for that door is disconnected.

Comment

The temperature will change only with ATC systems. A vacuum leak on either system will move air from dash to vents. The non-atc has the blend door run from a cable so it won't screw with that, ATC uses a vacuum motor to do it.

gabe: Replacement for the soup can is either a new soup can ($27 from Ford) or the plastic tank from a later one, or some other model. Take your pick. 1990+ has a plastic tank that looks vaguely electronical since its attached to the side of the relays. Its just a plastic box tho.

Nate: testing the can you need either a vacuum pump, or the cheater method is to use a piece of line and suck on it. If you can pull some vacuum on it and it holds, its fine. Usually if its bad enough to really cause you problems you'll be able to tell. If that holds, you'd want to check the one-way valve right on the vacuum tree. Its what the soup can line plugs into. It should work one way only. If thats good, you'll have to go to a vacuum pump connected to the line that goes inside the dash to the climate control head. Its the other line on the check valve. Pull vacuum on that to see if it leaks. If it is, I'll wish you the best of luck playing around inside that dashboard to find it.

Chris: Those control heads don't really fail all that often, I'd bet that more likely there is a vacuum leak at the big vacuum connector on the control head, a break in one of the lines to it. Its possible the thing failed but I haven't seen a bad one yet.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

today i took off the control panel, and i heard this hissing sound again, i checked all the vacuum lines, but these are all in good shape, the hiss comes from the main vacuum swich... very strange... it seems so, that i need a new switch... but where can i get one?
                  chris
                  Living in a Box

Comment

Probably from Ford. But I have no idea what they go for.
                    You could try your luck at a junkyard, but that one might not work either.

Comment

probably not very many 1980s Fords in the junkyards of Germany. You're probably looking at either having someone locate and ship you one, or hope Ford can provide you with a good one. I have a climate control head here, but its an ATC model from a Lincoln, I don't think the vacuum switch part is the same.

Comment

looked at the can has some rust but i didnt see any holes
                        sigpic
                        1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

you cannot check the soup can visually....i've seen non rusty appearing ones with a rust hole by the bracket......use some common sense with diagnostics.....these parts are 20 yrs old now....shits gonna break and wear out

chris i think i have a non atc climate contol head......want me to find it?......i can ship it to gmgt in england, and he can ship to you

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                            you cannot check the soup can visually....i've seen non rusty appearing ones with a rust hole by the bracket......use some common sense with diagnostics.....these parts are 20 yrs old now....shits gonna break and wear out

chris i think i have a non atc climate contol head......want me to find it?......i can ship it to gmgt in england, and he can ship to you
                            that will be a grad deal!

what do you want for it?

last week i ordered a new hood ornament (someone ripped the old), the shipping costs where about 6 bucks. from AZ to Germany

greetings
                            chris
                            Living in a Box

Comment

Originally posted by Chris84 View Post
                              that will be a grad deal!

what do you want for it?

last week i ordered a new hood ornament (someone ripped the old), the shipping costs where about 6 bucks. from AZ to Germany

greetings
                              chris
                              Yeah shipping to germany won't cost me too much
                              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                              X