No announcement yet.

3g alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing the big 3 upgrade is a very good idea in general with just upgrading the alternator. You should be quite happy with the difference. I added some of my 3g pics to my Photobucket account, with some 2g's in there for comparison as well. Here is the link to my photos. http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/c.../3G%20Upgrade/
    sigpic
    1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by 86GmLsCoupe View Post
      Doing the big 3 upgrade is a very good idea in general with just upgrading the alternator. You should be quite happy with the difference. I added some of my 3g pics to my Photobucket account, with some 2g's in there for comparison as well. Here is the link to my photos. http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/c.../3G%20Upgrade/
      is the charge cable any different than the batt+ to alt of the big 3?

Comment

Yes, my charge cable is 2awg from the output stud -> 175amp inline wafer -> starter solenoid -> to Pos + battery terminal. The old setup uses a plug, with two 10awg orange/black wires with fusible links, that go all the way around in front of the header (starting by coolant resivior), and up & out by the corner of the battery tray where they join into 1 wire just before the starter solenoid. It's a shoddy setup and will probably burn up if used with a 3g. Plus they are buried in the with the headlight wiring in that harness so if it does burn, it'll be a big problem to find & fix. You just disconnect the old, and run the new.
        sigpic
        Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

i just wanted to make sure so i knew how much wire to buy :P

Comment

Gotcha, I can look around, I don't remember the exact amount but I ended up with just enough. Which way are you planning to run it? The old way takes a lot more whereas you could just go over the engine.
            sigpic

Comment

well over at www.weldingsupply.com wire is cheap, so i'll probably buy 10 ft of 0 gauge for the big 3 and 5 feet of 2 gauge for the new charge wire. i think it should be more then enough.

Comment

I think you'll be fine then. IIRC, I used 5 feet of 2awg welding cable for the carge cable, and then got some more of the same 2awg in black for the grounds. I had just enough of the red 2awg to run the charge cable with none left over.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X