No announcement yet.

Automatic Headlight Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the switch, got all the wiring sorted out, but I ran out of butt connectors. Will finish it up tomorrow.

Comment

PROBLEM!!!! So I got all the wires figured out and I reconnected the battery. The lights came on right away and would not shut off. I tried playing with the switch no good. I took all the grounds off and it still doesn't shut it off. I took off the power input from the relay and still no luck. I even disconnected the harness from the light switch, still nothing. So can you tell me which wire or wires would turn them all on at the same time? It's working just like it's supposed to, except it's always on. What I mean by turn them all on at the same time is, the parking lights, and the headlights So what color wire that gives them power? That must be the one I grounded somewhere but which one is it so I can inspect it.

Comment

Hi 86VickyLX

Oh man this is gonna be very difficult for me to sort out long distance like this without knowing exactly what you have done

The only thing that springs to mind is you should have two unused terminals on your relay, I am wondering if you connected to the wrong terminals on your relay.

Review the wiring diagrams I gave you, all the information you need is right there.

Have you fitted the resistor for the delayed exit time?

I am wondering if you have/could take some photos of your wiring? Maybe I could see a mistake from some pictures.

Regards

Dereck
        President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

Originally posted by Dereck View Post
          Hi 86VickyLX

Oh man this is gonna be very difficult for me to sort out long distance like this without knowing exactly what you have done

The only thing that springs to mind is you should have two unused terminals on your relay, I am wondering if you connected to the wrong terminals on your relay.

Review the wiring diagrams I gave you, all the information you need is right there.

Have you fitted the resistor for the delayed exit time?

I am wondering if you have/could take some photos of your wiring? Maybe I could see a mistake from some pictures.

Regards

Dereck
          I fitted the resistor for the delay. I fit everything together just like in the diagram.

The resistor fights the ground right? if it's not grounded the lights aren't gonna shut off?

Comment

Switched to the other terminals they aren't on. Won't work when I turn the ignition, yet when I turn on the headlights via the main switch, and shut the switch off the lights stay on until I disconnect the ground

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
              Switched to the other terminals they aren't on. Won't work when I turn the ignition, yet when I turn on the headlights via the main switch, and shut the switch off the lights stay on until I disconnect the ground
              It's the one that goes to the toggle switch. It's not the resistor cause I removed it to see if that was it. It's gotta be the connection from the main switch, but which one? The relay only engages when the switch engages and won't shut off until I disconnect the ground.

Comment

:bump: it's the White/Purple wire that's giving it the electricity. But I hooked it up just how your diagrams said mang. I don't know what I've could've done.

Comment

Hi 86VickyLX

I am gonna work out the idiots guided to what wiring colors go where for you but it won't be untill tomorrow as it's 11:30pm here.

Meanwhile what value resistor did you fit? If the value is too highg or open circuit the lamps will never turn off.

Also have you put a pernament live to the switched live on the autolamp sensor by mistake?

Regards

Dereck
                  President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Comment

Originally posted by Dereck View Post
                    Hi 86VickyLX

I am gonna work out the idiots guided to what wiring colors go where for you but it won't be untill tomorrow as it's 11:30pm here.

Meanwhile what value resistor did you fit? If the value is too highg or open circuit the lamps will never turn off.

Also have you put a pernament live to the switched live on the autolamp sensor by mistake?

Regards

Dereck
                    No, its not the resistor. I removed it completly because that's what I thought it was.
                    The white/purple wire is connected to terminal A. Like it shows in the diagram.
                    Also, where do I pick up the yellow (aka red/yellow) wire in the diagram?

Comment

Good god.
                      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Hi 86VickyLX

Here goes the idiots giude.

Autolamp day/night sensor;

Red/Yellow = Switched and fused live (Hot in run)
                        Orange/White = Splice into Black/Orange or Tan/White on main light switch
                        White/Purple = Terminal A on your relay
                        Purple/Orange = Ground (Via a rocker switch if you like, enables the autolamps)
                        Dark Blue/Orange = Ground through a resistor (very important it grounds though a resistor DO NOT remove the resistor)

On your relay (Hopefully it is numbered like ours);

Terminal A = White/Purple from autolamp day/night sensor
                        Terminal B = Ground
                        Terminal 7 = Slice into Black/Orange on main light switch use 25+amp wire and fit a 20 amp fuse
                        Terminal 4 = Red/Yellow on main light switch
                        Terminal 9 = Tan/White on main light switch
                        Terminal 6 = Brown on main light switch

Regards

Dereck

Comment

Thanks.

Now one last maybe stupid question, I can just run the 20 amp fuse into the fuse box in my car via a new feed right?

Comment

if you dont mind me asking....your making all the lights work or jus headlights to the key? what is the reason? we have DTLs here on 1990+ panthers and on my 91 i pulled the fuse, i think it aint worth it but, i respect your project...not trying to make a big fuss.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                              if you dont mind me asking....your making all the lights work or jus headlights to the key? what is the reason? we have DTLs here on 1990+ panthers and on my 91 i pulled the fuse, i think it aint worth it but, i respect your project...not trying to make a big fuss.
                              This will make all the lights work.
                              I always wanted autolamps in vicky. I even picked up an autolamp switch and some wiring from an '85 Vic which matched my wiring altogether and most of it was harnesses, the rest of the wires I didn't know where they went and I was afraid I'd do something really wrong, so I put everything back.

Oh Dereck, I found Vicky's manual. And I'll show you the page that had the autolamp/Delayed exit wiring on it, which was the only thing offered to the Crown Victoria, no auto dim at all. One relay, one sensor, one autolamp switch, and a couple connectors.

See?

Comment

And an illustration for fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X