Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door Ajar switches?

I hate winter...

Today, I had to pull out a fuse so the lights *IN* the car would go off and prevent a battery drain.

(I was able to pull the lightbulb in the dome light, but couldn't figure out how to take out the ones in the back, sleet and the blowing wind weren't exactly helping me to be really patient

(So I pulled the fuse instead of smashing the back lights, not my day really, almost got smashed in the driver's door by a cab (he ran a red light while talking on his cell phone), and other things...

I took a look at the doors, door frames, but couldn't find any switch in any of the pillars, yet the light-bright dashboard tells me Door Ajar...

Where exactly are those switches located before I really get pissed, sell the car and buy a Ski-Doo ?

(it's a '99 Grand Marquis...)

I'm afraid They're in the door lock mechanism, like my friend's Jetta...

Thanks in advance,
    A really winter-pissed Panther Owner
    Last edited by Hamsterdan; 03-05-2008, 11:58 PM.
    1999 Grand Marquis LS with handling package

It appears that they are in the door latches, like your friend's jetta. Sorry. According to the online manual that I access through my library, there's some sort of switch attached to the door latch.

The first one shows the driver's door one and the second one shows the rear door one.
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Thanks

It seems the switch (or switches) were frozen/stuck, this mornin everything is OK. Preobably related to the nice warm winter we have here in Quebec (about 12 more inches of snow this weekend).

I'm about to replace the car with a Skidoo

Comment

Originally posted by Hamsterdan View Post
        It seems the switch (or switches) were frozen/stuck, this mornin everything is OK. Preobably related to the nice warm winter we have here in Quebec (about 12 more inches of snow this weekend).

I have the old-style switches in my '88 Town Car that stick out of the A and B pillars, and I've had this happen before after some of the really cold nights... nothing to worry about, just the switch being a little goofy. Once they warm up they'll work better... just deal with it for a month or so. :p

Comment

Grease them?

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
          I have the old-style switches in my '88 Town Car that stick out of the A and B pillars, and I've had this happen before after some of the really cold nights... nothing to worry about, just the switch being a little goofy. Once they warm up they'll work better... just deal with it for a month or so. :p
          Any way to grease them, so I won't have to pull the fuse next winter?

(or next weekend, since I'm gonna get about a foot of snow, again...)

Comment

try spraying some lube in the latch assembly, it should un-stick it. The grease in there gets gummy and hangs the switch up. Do all the doors, it might not be the driver's side causing the problem.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Here in the Pacific Northwest, where we get approximately six billion inches of rain a year, we call it liquid sunshine. Glad everything worked out.
              Originally posted by gadget73
              There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
              91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
              93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
              Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
              Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
              95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Any way to grease them, so I won't have to pull the fuse next winter?

(or next weekend, since I'm gonna get about a foot of snow, again...)
                I'm not really familiar with that kind of switch assembly but I'd clean out all the crappy old grease and do like gadget said. I'm not sure what you'd spray into it in this case. I'd say white lithium because that's what you usually use on hinges but I'm not sure how white lithium grease behaves in subzero (which is what I'm assuming you're getting) temperature. I'll take a look at my can today and let you know.

Comment

silicone spray or wd-40 to clean the gunk out
                  Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

I looked at my can of white lithium today and it said it won't freeze, so I'd start by trying that. If that doesn't solve it then we can try to figure something else out. I think it'll work though.

Comment

Thanks to all of you

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
                      I looked at my can of white lithium today and it said it won't freeze, so I'd start by trying that. If that doesn't solve it then we can try to figure something else out. I think it'll work though.
                      Thank you all...

Comment

usually wd40 first to clean the old garbage out, then white grease to keep it lubricated. getting the old gummy garbage out of there first is important otherwise the white grease won't do much.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Winter, part 2...

Acted up again this morning, thanks to the wonderful winter...

If it wasn't for the fscking snow, my car wouldn't have been hit by a towing truck this morning. Came at me at around 30MPH (with cars on *both* sides of the street, couldn't brake soon enough, and hit my car... (god those things are tough)

Results, blown tire, scratched front bumper and driver's side fender, broken chrome thingie on the wheel well, broken side marker and mis-aligned car...

The guy wanted to fill out papers, I told him I was calling the cops since he was driving recklessly. Turned out fine, he paid for a *NEW* tire, And I'll pick up a new light cover tomorrow. Way better that having my insurance go up

Comment

Are you sure?

Originally posted by Sindelir
                            Yes the new vehicles have a switch in the door latch. Yes it is really stupid and pointless but your car is new enough where you do not have to pull the fuse to keep your battery alive. The lights will go out after about 5 min on there own that is a system on all the newer cars to save the battery incase someone doesn’t shut the door all the way so you can put your fuse back in and the lights will go out on there own but it will take a couple min.

Because I had to drive with the rear reading lamps on all the way back home (was able to take out the domelight bulb, but not the back ones)

Comment

Definitely the driver's one

Originally posted by Sindelir
                              You more than likely need a new door switch. I have scene a few of these go bad in these newer cars with the gay latch switch the most recent one is in My neighbors 2003 F-350 crew cab and the drivers door needs the switch. Usually its in the drivers door or in a door that does not get opened very often.
                              That's the only door I opened this weekend. (yesterday it seemed fine though)

I'll have to dismantle the door I guess

Comment

Working...
                              X