ATC hose connection at lower intake...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATC hose connection at lower intake...

hello all! wondering if y'all can help me out here before i physically dig into the project. rebuilding a 302 v8 out of an LTD w/out automatic temp control for my 86 country squire with atc. the fitting on the lower intake next to the distributor for the two systems is different, with the atc one looking like its connected to a hard metal pipe that runs down next to the valvecover.

the 86 is still my daily driver so i can't pull the upper intake for a closer look. but it seems like to get the atc fitting off i may have to pull the lower intake off the block so i can rotate his entire pipe and get the fitting off. i obviously don't want to do this cause it takes more time, and... the new motor is ready to go in except for this fitting and i don't want to pull any of it apart again.

any words of wisdom (if you even know what i'm talking about...)?

worst case i'll figure it out when i start the swap, buy wanted to mentally prepare myself.

thanks!
    1986 Ford Contry Squire: HO engine swap, 3G alternator, 3.73 gears, rear air springs, Class III 8000 lb hitch... potential tow rig for my Blazer trail toy??

the dual heater pipes were a one yr thing on the panther....86 only........mustangs and mk7's used the same pipe from 86 on up but the bean counters switched to a single pipe and a longer hose in the panthers in 87

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I'd hang on to the double pipe. Order the hoses from pipe to core for an 86 Vic, and you'll be good to go. If you absolutely can't get the double pipe out of the intake (try a lot of penetrating lube first), then use the fittings for the later model motor and order heater hoses for an 87.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

can you guys confirm i gotta pull the lower intake off to yank that pipe / fitting? didn't appear to be away to get it off without doing that since it looked like the entire pipe would have to rotate in order to unthread the fitting. again, i'm hoping i'm just missing something since i can't really tear the car apart yet AND get to work and visibiilty is limited right now with 22 years of oil and grease all over everything.

i'm all for keeping the 86 w/ the original 86 parts as long as it doesn't set me back too much time.
        1986 Ford Contry Squire: HO engine swap, 3G alternator, 3.73 gears, rear air springs, Class III 8000 lb hitch... potential tow rig for my Blazer trail toy??

Comment

the lower nut on the pipe is supposed to move.....keep soaking it with pb blaster.......we had to use the torch to get the nut loose on thains towny and it had been apart before

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

10-4! i'll start soaking it down with blaster starting tonight. this is good news, thanks again!

Comment

You might have to remove the upper intake to get decent wrench access, but the lower does not need to come off.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X