Help with taillights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with taillights

Fired up the car today after not driving it for a few months. It seemed to run and drive like normal (after I replaced part of the fuel line... again). Shut the car off, went inside. 20 mins later the neighbor is banging on my door telling me that my taillights are still on. The car's off, the keys are out, but the taillights are still on? Anybody ever heard of the taillight switch going bad and causing the lights to stay on? Its a cheap fix if that's the case, any thoughts as to other causes?

'90 CV LX

Is it the tail lights or the stop lights? Stop lights I could imagine the brake light switch going bad. Tail lamps could possibly be the headlight switch, but it would most likely make the front marker lights be on too, since its tied together.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sorry. To clarify, it is the stop lights. The third light is illuminated also :p

Comment

prob the brake switch under the dash attatched to the brake pedal shorted if I had to guess. Once you contort yourself to see it, unplug one of the wires and see if the lights go out. If they do, the switch is either bad, or has somehow come undone from the brake pedal so its not switching off.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Wait, we've had a member living near Jackson for nearly a year? You must keep your eyes peeled for our pathetic attempts at organizing southern Michigan meets, dude!

Thankfully, it looks like new brake light switches are available from AutoZone for only about 8 bucks: http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,.../selectZip.htm Otherwise, I'd have suggested seeing if Ivan can hook you up (I stupidly didn't harvest the one from the '79 wagon last winter .... grrr.).

Thain, the brake-light wiring on a cruise-control-equipped car does go through the cruise control junk ... I wonder if it could somehow get shorted in there somewhere?
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

get a motorcraft one they are better than those other ones. jeremy said he 2 of those autozone brakelight switch were bad.

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
            302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
            k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post

Thain, the brake-light wiring on a cruise-control-equipped car does go through the cruise control junk ... I wonder if it could somehow get shorted in there somewhere?
              possible, but unplugging the $8 switch would determine if its the that or something else. The stop lamp switch gets more action than most of the other parts in the system, and its somewhat more accessible. Might as well start at the easiest point and go from there.
              Last edited by gadget73; 11-07-2008, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Sticking stop lamp switch. I've got the cheapo AutoZone one in my car. Working good for over a year.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm going to check it out right now.

Yeah, I've been to Jackson once with this car. She's a northern car all her life so there's lots of rust on the bottom. The engine is pretty rough too, coz the previous owners didn't change the oil often
                  Yeah, you should have seen the PCV filter when I finally got it removed. Can you say OEM?

But it runs and drives for now

Comment

Turns out it was the brake light switch. Weird.
                    The one I took out looks almost brand new, like there no rust on it at all:

BTW mods, thanks for moving this thread. Will try to post in the correct section in the future

Comment

Very strange. Glad it was a straightforward fix, though!
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                      X