slight coolant smell when heat first turns on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slight coolant smell when heat first turns on

Hey guys, there is a slight coolant smell when the heat first turns on, then it goes away. I am wondering if this means the heater core has a pinhole leak or is about to go.
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

does your windshield fog up when you first start it up after sitting for a bit?

my guess is yes, ford heater cores are notorious for going bad. the last two fords i have had prior to my current vehicle all started that way. first a small odor of coolant then the foggy windshield.
    sigpic2004 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    07 P71 dual exhaust h pipe cat back with 24" glass packs Pioneer DEH-P6000UB HU Infinity 2 way 6x8's, Oz Audio 5x7 2 ways, Fultron Tweets, Infinity 1211a and Alpine type R 12"
    1999 vw bug work beater

Comment

had the same thing happen in the wagon, turned out to be the heater core.
      What happened here?

Comment

I used to smell that too in Vicky, then a few months later, the heater core went.

Comment

yeah, sounds like the heater core is just beginning to seep a tiny bit.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I believe my brother is having the SAME issue! The windshiled fogs up renderign the defrost utterly useless....

Is there any good writeups on how to approach fixing this? I tired to look all over this sight and couldn't find it!
            "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
            -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Basically the long and short of it is that you replace the heater core. What year and kind of car? The specifics change a bit over the years.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

oh and there is also the whole waterpump thing that will smell like coolant throught the vents too.
                89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
                X