Cruise control sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise control sucks

There are a lot of hills around here, and when I'm going up them, it takes a long time for my cruise to catch on, then when it does, it doesn't seem to quite get me back up to speed. I'll drop from 70 down to almost 60 before it decides that it's got some work to do. Is this just old style cruise, or is it not working right.

1991 CV LTD LX Stock 5Xk

its because you are loosing vaccum or the cruise servo its self is faulty.

have you hooked up the hose from this thread;
    Everything to do with interior and body electrical including headlights and tail lights. CFI specific discussions and AC/heating systems.
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Yeah, but it didn't seem to make a difference in the cruise. I suppose I have a leak somewhere, or the aforementioned falty servo. How do I test the servo?

1991 CV LTD LX Stock 5Xk

Comment

Use a vacuum pump and see if it holds.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Use a vacuum pump and see if it holds.
          What I really need, is something I can look at to know where all of these things are. And buy a vacuum pump, of course.

1991 CV LTD LX Stock 5Xk

Comment

mine does it too. sometimes it'll just shut itself off if I'm going up a long hill.
            People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

the cruise control cable needs to be adjusted......it's possibly too loose, and cannot pull the throttle lever enough to hold speed

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                the cruise control cable needs to be adjusted......it's possibly too loose, and cannot pull the throttle lever enough to hold speed
                Scott,
                I'm thinking along the lines of vacuum loss as he's going uphill. Cruise control was not made for hills, but interstate/highway driving. As he's going uphill, the cruise is trying to catch up, calling for more throttle, and, if I'm not mistaking, causing a loss of vacuum low enough to kick out the servo. Before MORRIS goes, and starts tearing everything apart, he should get it out on the open road, and make sure the cruise is actually malfunctioning first. Sorry Morris, I wasn't referring you in the third person on purpose.

MIKE

Comment

Working...
                X