Performance Air Intake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance Air Intake?

What is the best way to get a few extra horses and let my engine breath a bit better? K&N sells a high flow filter that will fit in the stock housing for 50 bucks. Is this worth it? Just wondering cause I know there isn't much for aftermarket air intakes for these cars.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

I had one of those on the Mercury. I didn't really notice any power difference. I could hear it breathing in when you're going up a hill.

Comment

Pretty sure most guys run later model intake assemblies which put the air box behind the headlight instead of bolted straight to the damn exhaust manifold.
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
      1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
      1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

I always thought that the stock air box, while being ugly and in the way, could flow more than enough for a lopo or HO.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

It looks like it should be able to, But what should I be running for a filter, Ive been told proform, but cant find any product for a GM from them. The only high flow ive found is the K&N.
          "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I'm thinking the idea is that the stock box must get heat-soaked due to it's location. Although, given where it draws it's air from, that must counter that to a point. I have been thinking about unsilating the bottom and side (facing the engine) of my airbox just to see if it would make a difference.....but that would be best done in the summertime.... This time of year I have actually thought of taking the "snorkel" thing off my airbox, cause damn it's been cold this winter!

Anyway, I did that insulation thing on a dodge ram like P72ford has. It worked pretty good.
            Former panther owner
            1981 CV 351 4bbl
            1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

factory air box is actually pretty decent.. I got rid of it mostly to make it easier to work on.
              Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

if you really want to make the cold air intake work and fit right you need to get a 90 fan shroud and a 93 or something washer fluid bottle

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

the stock intake is a cold air setup. Its ugly as hell and in the way, but performance wise, its not hurting you at all. I think 88grandmarq dyno tested his car with the HO and proved its not a restriction.

Never been overly impressed with oiled air filters. They're just a pain in my opinion. I stick to paper stuff, just toss it when its dirty.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

well I just put on my true cold air intake tonight and the box is wood with a burned in pic of my car and insulated piping leading to the huge K&N where the washer fluid/overflow was. I'll get a pic for ya in a few minutes.
                    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

alright heres a few pics. Looks kinda dirty under their but I keep it lookin not half bad in the summer. I'm in the middle of a big batch of mods so i'll post a few pics of the whole job but heres the intake. It's a true cold air intake now, she's hauling in -15C air tonight lol. Made a big difference over my little mickey mouse warm air deal and smaller filter, with the other mods I just did.

I cut off the wiper fluid and painted the overflow black and stuck it on the fan shroud.
                      [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
                      [IMG][/IMG]
                      Heres me and the big K&N.
                      [IMG][/IMG]
                      Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                      HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

probably better off leaving the intake assembly alone and getting an H.O. plenum and egr/tb assembly

Comment

So is the general consensus that k&n stock replacement filters don't do a hell of a lot more than stock?
                          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

i think they do more on cars where the engine is restricted by the intake or the engine has mass air so it can adjust to the filter better. stock lopo engines arent one of those setups

Comment

merc91- Thay's pretty neat, I like the personal touch it adds.

As for the oiled vs paper thing, I tend to agree with gadget73.

I have always found the 3 links below a good read. especially the 3rd one.

http://bobistheoilguy.com/index.php?...d=58&Itemid=66
                              http://bobistheoilguy.com/index.php?...d=61&Itemid=70
                              http://bobistheoilguy.com/index.php?...d=66&Itemid=76
                              Former panther owner
                              1981 CV 351 4bbl
                              1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Working...
                              X