Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chimer randomly going off in 1990 Crown Vic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chimer randomly going off in 1990 Crown Vic?

Today I was driving my 1990 Crown Vic when suddenly the chime started randomly like the door was open, but it wasn't. And the even stranger thing is I was thinking maybe its one of the buttons on the inside of the door to see if the door is open, but the dome lights weren't going on at the time either??? Incredibly strange.... However, when I opened my door to get out with the keys in the light went on but right before I got out or did anything it stopped chiming.... Any ideas?? Thanks...

had this happen to my town car.......was coming back from atlanta in the rain and the chimer went off for several hundred miles.........mostlikely cause is the drivers side door switch is worn out and needs to be replaced.....these are still available new

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Is it still doing it? Unplug the drivers door switch and it should go away. It's the only one that makes it chime.

Comment

BTDT, replaced the switch and life was good. I still don't have that chime plugged in though.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          BTDT, replaced the switch and life was good. I still don't have that chime plugged in though.
          BTDT? :confused:

Comment

Been there, done that
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Ok, thanks to everyone who provided information, I'll check it tomorrow and hopefully its the door switch....

Comment

If its not that then the car has entered self destruct mode. It sends a signal from the coil through the ground to arc inside the gas tank and detonate. Its not common but it does happen from time to time. Grab your shit and run like hell.
                Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

The switches are cheap but rotten cocksuckers to install.
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I unplugged the chime in mine.

It did that for 15 minutes, and I was going crazy.
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Where's the chime located?
                      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Under the dash on the driver's side (near the radio)
                        You have to take that black under-dash panel off to get to it (or even see it).
                        Former panther owner
                        1981 CV 351 4bbl
                        1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                          The switches are cheap but rotten cocksuckers to install.
                          The hell are you talking about? All the ones I've delt with you can get out by hand, you pull the harness out with the switch a little, then you unplug the switch, plug in the new switch, and stick it back in the door. If it's not out enough turn the switch since it is threaded until it contacts the door when the door shuts.

If the switch doesn't come out by hand you can use a pair of plyers to pull it out... Don't squeeze the hell out of it, just grip it and pull straight back.
                          Last edited by 86VickyLX; 03-27-2010, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                            The hell are you talking about? All the ones I've delt with you can get out by hand, you pull the harness out with the switch a little, then you unplug the switch, plug in the new switch, and stick it back in the door. If it's not out enough turn the switch since it is threaded until it contacts the door when the door shuts.

If the switch doesn't come out by hand you can use a pair of plyers to pull it out... Don't squeeze the hell out of it, just grip it and pull straight back.

I read somewhere on here originally that you had to get them out/in from the back, so that's how I installed mine.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                              I read somewhere on here originally that you had to get them out/in from the back, so that's how I installed mine.
                              Did you do all 4 like that?

Comment

Working...
                              X