Headlights - 83 GMQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlights - 83 GMQ

i was wondering what brands of headlights produce a huge amount of brightness. Mine have a tint of yellow to them and they don't seem to be bright enough. Looking for brands for the high beams and low beam. And no Xenons. I like the brightness of Silverstar lights but i dont know if they make silverstar lights for my car.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

First, relay your headlights. Here.
    It's probably not your headlights so much, as not getting a full 14.5v to the bulb. And, no, just pulling a headlight out and measuring the voltage at the socket won't tell you, because the volt meter won't tell you how much is being lost to resistance at the current level the headlights pull.
    Then convert them to h4's on the low beam, h1's on the high beam, and pack the h1's with 100watts. You'll burn up the night.
    '84 Grand Marquis
    Damn thing just keeps runnin'!

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important." T.S. Elliot

Comment

I have silverstars in my car. Do the headlight relay upgrade first then see if you need new lights.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

i wonder if my alternator has something to do with this two as when i give my car gas the headlights get brighter but duller when i decelerate.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
        -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
        1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

check the voltage

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Hmmm...
            Lights dimming at idle sounds more like battery. If your battery was up to snuff it would make up for the alternator turning too slow to maintain voltage.
            Here's how you check:
            You need a volt meter. With the engine off check the voltage of the battery. It should be ~13-13.5v.
            Start the car. With the engine running about 1200rpm, measure the voltage. It should be ~14-14.5v.
            If you get less than ~14 volts or more than ~15 volts with the engine running fast idle you at least have a bad alternator. And bad alternators eat batteries. But if you get ~ 14.5v with the engine at fast idle, but don't get 13.5v with the engine off, your battery is dying.
            '84 Grand Marquis
            Damn thing just keeps runnin'!

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important." T.S. Elliot

Comment

Weak alternator (stock is 55 amps with lousy idle speed output) and not having the lights relayed I'd bet you're not getting more than 12 volts at the headlights. I measured mine about 11.5 before the harness, and now they read about 13.8. The difference in brightness is pretty impressive, and I'm running original 1986 high beams, and some random cheap low beams that have been in the car since I got them.

Also, the Sylvania Xtravision lamps are bright without being silly expensive.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The silverstars rock. They don't look like they do much until you get on a dark road by yourself. Then they really show you how far you can actually see. I also like that they don't dazzle you because they don't reflect off wet road surfaces as badly as a warmer colored light would.

Also, do the 3g alternator upgrade. Much better idle output.
                There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

I need to do the 3g upgrade myself... sub tends to dim the lights just a bit at idle but has no issues at cruise. I think I'll do the relay trick first since I have a pair of 30A relays just laying around.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

did later cars have headlight relays? I know some earlier ones don't have horn relays but mine does, so I'm curious about headlight relays. It sounds like adding them might be worth looking into if not?
                    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

none of the boxes have headlamp relays. Its a worthwhile upgrade. It also takes the load off the headlight and high beam switches so they'll pretty much never go bad.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Will it stop things from dimming inside the car when I turn the lights on? Doesn't dim like crazy (like a bad charging system) but the clock and any idiot lights change slightly after I pull the light switch out.
                        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

it may help. It will take the load off of the in-car electrical system. I doubt it will go away completely though.

Comment

hey, anything that could help! i love a car that you can modify and improve with about 5 bucks worth of plastic and wire.
                            sigpic

Comment

the clock has a dimmer in it so it's not as bright when the headlights are on (this makes it so that the stuff dims at night and isn't so bright in the cab as to be distracting - digital stuff only... shouldn't affect the idiot lights).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X