Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GT-40 Turbo Swirl heads

Are these also called GT-40X heads?

Online it says these heads must be used with piston tops with the relief notches. Though in a book of mine on ford performance, says these could be used as a bolt-on to any 302 setup.

Is there not enough clearance with dished piston top?
    sigpic
    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
    302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
    COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Long story short, it depends on the cam. I'd imagine that with a stock cam (or mustang HO cam) you'd be ok using your stock pistons.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

the whole thing is the height of the chambers on the heads, if they have larger then stock valves, angle of the valves and like johnunit said, the cam.

with a stock cam you might be fine but it cant hurt to check your clearences to be safe, big difference is theyre probably gonna base it on a HO bottom end and not a LOPO bottom end and we dont have piston reliefs like HO blocks do so id check the clearence to be safe

Comment

Originally posted by import convert View Post
        with a stock cam you might be fine but it cant hurt to check your clearences to be safe, big difference is theyre probably gonna base it on a HO bottom end and not a LOPO bottom end and we dont have piston reliefs like HO blocks do so id check the clearence to be safe

My factory LOPO pistons had the valve reliefs in them.
        But either way, you should check the clearence to be safe.
        ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
        ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

I've never seen lopo pistons with reliefs, but I've never had an 85- engine apart either. All of the 86+ ones I've seen have the big dish. And what IC said about things being based on the Mustang world is very true. Only way to know is to put the clay in and give it a shot.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X