Heater box gasket part 2...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heater box gasket part 2...

I have 86merccp's wagon at my house fixing a few things. the heater core was replaced a year or so ago by a repair shop, ever since then the air coming out of the vents was weak and heat was hit or miss. last time I looked at the car I was operating the temp control lever, there was a loud pop noise air stopped blowing out the vents all together. fearing a broken re-circ door, I decided to pull the box out of the car and see what was going on.
    the workmanship of this previous repair was piss-poor at best. most of the screws were missing or loose. the glove box had one screw holding it together and would no longer close. 2 of the 3 studs holding the heater box to the firewall were loose or broken.

I got the heater box out of the car and discovered the gasket was installed backwards and not sealing against the firewall.

in this picture, notice how the left edge of the gasket hangs over the side and doesn't seal, also notice how the other side of the gasket is wedged between the box and the heat door, this is how the gasket was installed when I removed the heater box. also notice the top right hole on the gasket, the mounting tab for the upper stud is broken off.

in this picture the gasket is installed correctly on the box and stapled in place. the good news was all the air control doors are working correctly and not broken.

going to use some epoxy and try to repair the broken stud on the top. the lower stud is there, but needs to fastened to the firewall.
    Last edited by 88grandmarq; 06-05-2010, 04:10 PM.
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

What a bunch of BS. People believe that you will never get in the car that deep to see all of the halfassed attempts to fix shit or just repair it. makes me angry that shops are shady.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

What irks me (something good for the 'what grinds your gears thread') is the attitude some guys have that is; whos going to know/nobody keeps their car long enough to find out.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
        What irks me (something good for the 'what grinds your gears thread') is the attitude some guys have that is; whos going to know/nobody keeps their car long enough to find out.

Alex.
        That is exactly what I should have said or meant by my post. The job has to be done correctly no matter what.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanx guys i so agree and it still burns as they had the audacity to charge 1400 bux for that mess!!!! Never again......
          1986 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park A.K.A "Christine"TRADED.......Gone to a better home hopefully.

2009 Ford Taurus SEL New DD

Comment

I used some epoxy to try and hold the top stud in place, it held well until the heater box rolled over and bumped the stud on the ground. the epoxy bonded well to the metal stud, but not so well to the plastic/ABS heater box. at least I found out it didnt hold while the heater box was still out of the car.

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Try ABS plumbing glue maybe.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I tried some plumbing glue at is was too thin.

I re-used the stuff I had and it seemed to hold, while the heater box was out of the car.
                Re-installed the heater box in the car yesterday and the epoxy broke on the last turn of the wrench while tightening, which is what I was afraid of.
                Guess the heater box will have to be replaced to fix it correctly.

working on putting the dash back together today and see if I can make the glove box close properly.

Comment

Can you thru bolt it? Maybe epoxy a carriage bolt in the hole, just to hold it until the thing is in the car.
                  Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                  AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                  Open/Lock/Ratio #
                  -----------------------
                  G / H / 2.26
                  B / C / 2.47
                  8 / M / 2.73
                  7 / - / 3.07
                  Y / Z / 3.08
                  4 / D / 3.42
                  F / R / 3.45
                  5 / E / 3.27
                  6 / W / 3.73
                  2 / K / 3.55
                  A / - / 3.63
                  J / - / 3.85

Comment

did you try ABS plumbing glue, or PVC glue? Different stuff. Its not really a glue though, its more of a solvent. Its supposed to melt the plastic surfaces together. I was thinking maybe the ABS "glue" would soften the plastic enough that you could mush the stud back into place and have it hold.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                    X