cool/warm dial setting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cool/warm dial setting?

You know above the radio, the unit where the lower dial chooses off, max a/c, normal a/c, vent, etc.,
    And the upper dial goes from cool to hot?

Well for some time now, the upper dial has been very hard to move.
    Something's off with it; if you just push on it it wants to cut into the plastic face and bind. The only way to move it is to grip it powerfully between thumb and two forefingers to keep it perpendicular, and then force it along so it doesn't cut into the faceplate.

Has anyone else had this issue?
    What is the fix?
    Does the faceplate come off easily; maybe the steel arm is broken...?? I'm really not sure.
    My father had said that when he owned a car with an analog control like that, it also tended to have the same issue when it got older.

thanks!
    -Bernard

yes i've seen this issue a bunch, the climate control panels on the 90+ panthers suck
    replacing it with a good panel is the only attractive fix, but if you want a cheap fix, pull the knob off and put a keyring loop on the slider and work it with the loop......this is how i took care of the problem on my roomates 90 vic

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

small vice grips

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

if I stop by autozone, is it sold as a "climate control panel"?

Comment

I have my doubts that you'll find that thing anywhere but a Ford dealership or a junkyard.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It is only at Ford or the yards. I broke 2 of them when I had a 91. If you don't fix what is making it hard to move it will just break again. Since I replaced it 2 times, you can tell I didn't fix it right. I didn't keep the car long enough to find out what was wrong with it.
            89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

I worry that anything at a junkyard will have even more miles, and even more likely to have the same issue.

I suspect it's not in the faceplate alone, but something to do with the mechanical arms behind it.
              How does the faceplate come out, since you've done it twice now?

thanks!
              -Bernard

Comment

It pulls out the front. The trim panel around it and the radio comes off and you can get to it. It has been about 5 - 6 years since I had the 91. Some of them are vac. and some are cable controlled. I had a cable controlled one. It was a Grand Marq. GS model. I think it was the blend door hanging up that made the knob break.
                89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Working...
                X