Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 Marquis problems

Hey,

My cousins 1983 Grand Marquis is starting to act really goofy. Im going to try to explain it the best I can, so bare with me, hes in kansas right now, so I cant personally look at his car.

But he loaned his car to a friend and the battery went dead on him, the guy hooked up jumper cables from another car and left them on for a while, came back out to check on it, and relized he had the cables on backwards. Now when you turn the key on, the fuel pump doesnt run, but if you put battery cables on backwards, the fuel pump runs in reverse, and all fusible links seem to be good he says.

So what could it be??? Im thinking it might be the computer, but im not positive.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
    ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
    ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

I know this sounds weird, but bear with me my friends aunt (i think) did the same thing to her 80's Impala. We swapped batteries and it worked fine, when i hooked it up to a battery charger, i came to the conclusion that the polarities got reversed (pos is neg/ neg is pos). I looked it up and it seems like it could happen.

Just and Idea.

George
    1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Comment

Bad solenoid?
      '79 Continental Town Car
      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by Georges86 View Post
        I know this sounds weird, but bear with me my friends aunt (i think) did the same thing to her 80's Impala. We swapped batteries and it worked fine, when i hooked it up to a battery charger, i came to the conclusion that the polarities got reversed (pos is neg/ neg is pos). I looked it up and it seems like it could happen.

Just and Idea.

George

That is pretty weird, but I just called him and he did use a different battery. So that cant be it. :/

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
        Bad solenoid?
        He says everything works fine like it should, the car turns over and everything, so it cant be the solenoid, I dont think. But its just the fuel pump doesnt work, but yet it works (in reverse?) when the battery cables are put on backwards. :confused:

Thanks for the responses though.
        ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
        ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

Well it was an idea! haha

What about the fuel pump relay?

I know i went through a clusterf*ck when i managed to short out the relay on my car by getting it wet. (Dont pressure wash an engine btw)

I had the same symptoms (minus the backwards thing) but maybe this would work?

Just thinking out loud,

George
          1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Comment

its not the relay i just put a new one in it and nothing
            1979 lincoln versailis, ford test ordered car, factory floor shift with bucket seats.
            1983 lincoln mark VI, all factory
            2015 Mustang GT 50yrs SHERROD, 6 speed 302, track pack, premium package, Custom JL sound system.

Comment

Is it possible that the car was hooked up backwards for so long that it ruined the fuel pump itself? Mabye?

sigpic

Comment

maybe, im thinking about going and buying a new one but i dont want to spend the $ if i dont have to
                1979 lincoln versailis, ford test ordered car, factory floor shift with bucket seats.
                2015 Mustang GT 50yrs SHERROD, 6 speed 302, track pack, premium package, Custom JL sound system.

Comment

ok so my cars not getting spark too, so unless there's a fuse going to the comp im pretty sure that my comp is junk

Comment

there is a fuse going to the computer... could just be a fuse-link though. Can't remember at the moment.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

i wonder if hooking the battery up backwards could smoke the ECM relay. Probably should check all the fuse links though. I'm about 90% sure the ECM powers off a fuse link, though I don't know EEC 3 very well at all.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                      X