No announcement yet.

interior lights stay on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what do the switches look like? do I need to take apart the door to get to it?

Comment

no

it's the little white plunger in the front of the door jamb that your door presses down on when its closed. they're also adjustable so it's possible that one got pushed in too far and the switch wont close now. you can pull them out through the FRONT, i did them backwards and had a hell of a time wiring them from behind

the exact same thing happened to my car.

you can very gently pull the switch out with vice grips, but be careful with the switch incase it's not actually bad. like mentioned earlier, keep a hold of the wiring harness attached to it.

if it IS bad, you can just pull the switch, unplug it, and put the switch back in until you get another one...if left out the hole it's in can be a huge leak point
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Ohhh, hahahaha.
        white plunger in the door jamb did the trick; I didn't know what I was looking for....

Pulled the driver side one out, and, there was no wire attached! I must have knocked it loose whilst fishing all those wires through. That would indeed do it :-D
        Mystery solved, I hope... pulling out just that tidbit of trim now to look behind it.

Unless the default for not being plugged in at all, is to have the lights OFF, in which case I'm still in trouble: but would an unplugged switch lead to them being stuck ON?

Comment

No idea...but I had this problem as well. I couldnt for the life of me figure out the problem. I tore through the entire interior trying to find the problem. I ended up just re-wiring the entire circuit.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
            Ohhh, hahahaha.
            white plunger in the door jamb did the trick; I didn't know what I was looking for....

Pulled the driver side one out, and, there was no wire attached! I must have knocked it loose whilst fishing all those wires through. That would indeed do it :-D
            Mystery solved, I hope... pulling out just that tidbit of trim now to look behind it.

Unless the default for not being plugged in at all, is to have the lights OFF, in which case I'm still in trouble: but would an unplugged switch lead to them being stuck ON?
            no, unplugged = lights off
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Shit. I'll check the other ones, then... and in the meantime, how DO I go about fishing that wire out of the door?

Meh, I'll struggle with a coat hanger for a pull tape for half an hour, should be able to get it.

Comment

Umm.... what else? :-(
                I pulled out all five, unless I'm missing one! I doubt it. Three of the five ended up having the wires fall back into the body, careful as I tried to be.
                So when none of them were plugged in... STILL the lights stayed on.

More ideas?

Comment

Have you unplugged teh head light switch to make sure that is not sending current to the wires?
                  ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

alrighty, will try that next :-D

Comment

It will be a pain to do but you gotta figure out what the hell is giving power to the lights.
                      ~David~

Comment

you did turn the center knob of the headlamp switch to make sure its not clicked right? I dont mean the outer ring where the autolamp stuff is, but the center knob which operates the dash lamp dimmer. When you turn it all the way one way, it clicks and the interior lamps stay on.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

OOPS. Um, yep-- that was it. Had the center knob turned too far to the left. I'd only be turning the outer ring; didn't realize the center knob did anything (but pull out two stops for lights, and high beam).

Now, 1990LTD, any tips on how to pull those wiring harnesses back out again?

Comment

for the front doors, I think you can get access to them by removing the kick panel. for the rear doors... if you can't get the center pillar panels off, you may have to try some string and a paperclip bent into a hook. I'm not sure you could even get at them with the center pillar panels off either since I've never actually removed them.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
                              OOPS. Um, yep-- that was it. Had the center knob turned too far to the left. I'd only be turning the outer ring; didn't realize the center knob did anything (but pull out two stops for lights, and high beam).

Now, 1990LTD, any tips on how to pull those wiring harnesses back out again?

I hope you've got small hands. I don't, and had to get someone who didn't know cars at all to help

"See that wiring harness in there? Just grab it and push it out of there"
                              "Wiring harness?!"

Needle nose pliers to grab the wiring harness once you can see it through that hole
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X