Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

?'s for those with underhood fuse blocks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

?'s for those with underhood fuse blocks...

I intend on installing a underhood fuse block as soon as the wagon is back up and running, mainly because I despise how horrendous the fusible link mess looks.

HOWEVER, I am uncertain on what amperage fuses to use for each link I am replacing...but I do know that 14ga is 15A, 12ga is 20, 16ga is 10A, etc....

Not only that, but I hear using regular ATC/ATO fuses aren't a good idea, because they aren't slow blow like links are, and that it's recommended to use Maxi fuses instead of ATC/ATO fuses because small amperage spikes can pop the ATC/ATO fuses. Is this true, or is this simply a myth?

If not, I found a fuse box that I want, mainly because a local marine supply store carries them.

It has a main lug integrated into it, and all I have to do is install a correct gauge wire from the solenoid or battery to it with an inline fuse.
    '97 Cadillac Catera - 3.0 DOHC V6, 75k
    Soon... Any '95+ Panther!
    CLICK ME! Parts For Sale, SUPER CHEAP!!!

In my rr thread I explained how I picked out fuses. I used a combo of standard sizes and maxi sizes. None to date blew on me.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I suspect you may be thinking house wiring current ratings, not fuse link ratings. 12 ga will handle a lot more than 20 amps.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So then it's safe to say that the standard fuses will be fine? I don't see why not... I mean if there's a short, it's gonna blow either way, just quicker.
        '97 Cadillac Catera - 3.0 DOHC V6, 75k
        Soon... Any '95+ Panther!
        CLICK ME! Parts For Sale, SUPER CHEAP!!!

Comment

just depends how many amps you need. The highest current small fuses are like 30 amps. If you need more current capacity, you're kind of left with maxi fuses or one of the other types.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What exactly does the fuse block eliminate? Are there just a bunch of fusible links/inline fuses under the hood? I know there are a ton of wires that I don't know the purpose of
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I'm working on a fuse block project because I hate having to either add lots of relays and inline fuses all hung about separately, or else give into the temptation to leave junk unfused. Some of this is of course intended to eventually take load off of dash wiring that shouldn't have had it in the first place (as in headlight relays).
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by BGoins12 View Post
                I intend on installing a underhood fuse block as soon as the wagon is back up and running, mainly because I despise how horrendous the fusible link mess looks.

HOWEVER, I am uncertain on what amperage fuses to use for each link I am replacing...but I do know that 14ga is 15A, 12ga is 20, 16ga is 10A, etc....

Not only that, but I hear using regular ATC/ATO fuses aren't a good idea, because they aren't slow blow like links are, and that it's recommended to use Maxi fuses instead of ATC/ATO fuses because small amperage spikes can pop the ATC/ATO fuses. Is this true, or is this simply a myth?

If not, I found a fuse box that I want, mainly because a local marine supply store carries them.

It has a main lug integrated into it, and all I have to do is install a correct gauge wire from the solenoid or battery to it with an inline fuse.
                I'm not sure what to tell you as far as amperage for fuse links goes, but I know that if you get the underhood fuse box for a whale panther, you'll like it. It has a common positive rail, and spots for relays and mini and maxi fuses. I'm going to be installing one at some point.
                Originally posted by gadget73
                There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
                X