rear window motor; removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear window motor; removal?

So 4 months ago when I bought this car, the front passenger window was already not working.
    Then, on a single weekend road trip, the driver and rear passenger windows stopped working (not electrical-- the motors were bad).

I replaced all three, drilling 1/2" holes, *just* wide enough, to get to the bolts and remove and replace them. They all work now, confirming it wasn't electrical.
    I've kept the "cores" (old ones) to rebuild on another more adventurous day.

Now, just yesterday, the rear, tailgate window (it's a wagon) ceased to function. Well, it requires assistance. Again, not just a fuse. Only one original window motor left!!! *sigh*

However, there were no dimples!

Either A) buy a friggin huge holesaw? The holesaws I have however do not do well on sheet metal, made in china. Tried drilling holes for audio cables in the trunk, and the sheet metal of the trunk was literally a stronger steel than these drill bits. I can however get a better grade...

or B) drill 3 1/2" holes extra far apart, and chisel the sheet metal out, then just not forget to put some plastic over the very large fresh hole!

I seem to recall being able to reach into the tailgate and get the ratchet wrench or maybe the 1/4 drive ratchet in there to remove the motor. No hole drilling required.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

there are a couple access panels. I can see one of the bolts, I don't know how on earth I'll get to the other two... :-(

Comment

should only be 3 of them. If you pull all the panels out, it should be relatively straightforward. I know I've pulled those motors before and I have fat hands.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
        X