ATC, hot air all the time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATC, hot air all the time.

I have been working on this thing for a few weeks and can not get it to work. I have HOT air coming out of the floor and dash, mainly the dash vents. I have a vac leak and have yet to find it. At idle I have 19 in" vac at the tree, at the big gold vac. motor behind the glove compartment I only have 9". I would say the blend door is broken, but I can hear it open and close. The vac motor works as I can see it move. The fan speed will change with the temp. lever, but not the temp. The door for the inside / outside air works. The fan comes on at 120 deg. as it should. I could really use some help here as the air temp. out of the vents is at 120 deg. That's nice in the winter, but not when it is 90 outside. If nothing else I'll put a shut off in the heat hose.
    89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Dear Panthers,
    I'm no mechanic and Panther A/C is a nightmare. When I had hot air coming out of mine recently (vacuum okay, 2 year old compressor) it was the A/C clutch relay.

DOnald McCaig
    1989 CP Scottified steering, suspension and big brakes, 16 in wheels, A-pillar oil & temp gauges, remote entry, backup sensor, tailgate wiper, custom console & trash, tranny & ps coolers, 3 cell radiator, electric fan, dual exhausts, battery isolator, hellas headlights,deer pusher,wads of dog hair.

Comment

Check the soup can and the thermal blower lockout in the heater hose. If either of those have leaks, the main source vacuum for the dash controls will be low, and nothing will behave itself properly. Weak vacuum on that blend door servo (the gold can) will make it not pull fully to the cold air position. You can try pulling vacuum on it with a hand pump to see if it shifts over to cool or cold air just to verify that things are moving correctly.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I checked the can, holds vac for 10 min, everything from the tree to the box is new. The blend door servo works, I can see it move and I did check it with the vac pump. The TBL is 2 months old, I will plug it just to check it. This is blowing HOT air in the OFF position with the temp on 65. Could it may be the main control head?
        89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

if the blend door is pulled to cold when the temperature is set to 65 and you're still getting hot air, its nothing in any of the control systems. That fault I can only explain with a broken blend door. Does it sound like it thumps back and forth when you operate it?

If its not pulling fully to cold, about the only thing between main source vacuum and the blend door is that interior air temp sensor. Check the two tubes feeding to it. The clear one won't have anything since it goes down to the blend door servo, but the other one ought to have what amounts to full manifold vacuum. If its low, chase that hose backwards. I don't have the evtm in front of me to be able to tell you if it tees straight out of the supply line or if it goes through the climate control head. I want to say its straight supply but don't hold me to that.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Wait....it's blowing air in the OFF position? Weird.....
            Originally posted by gadget73
            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
            X