silly vacuum question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

silly vacuum question

What is over near the battery that draws manifold vacuum? It's actually really close to the battery.

The vac line goes in to what looks like some kind of solenoid that has two other sets of wires running to it. It's dark or else I'd take a picture of it but I wouldn't imagine there's much over there drawing vacuum?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Charcoal canister?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Charcoal canister holds fuel vapors under the battery. ECM opens solenoid, and engine draws fuel vapor from the canister into the intake. If it works, leave it alone.
      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

In my haste (well, I haven't slept in a couple of days) I reinstalled everything, hooked everything back up...except the charcoal canister and a curious device with one vac port and one wire harness, sitting up on my firewall. Went to start the car.....nothin. Hooked up the thing up on the firewall and the car works dandy. After that I noticed that I forgot about the charcoal canister too
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
          and a curious device with one vac port and one wire harness, sitting up on my firewall.
          That would be your MAP sensor. VEERY important to the fuel injection system if you don't have Mass Air.
          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
            That would be your MAP sensor. VEERY important to the fuel injection system if you don't have Mass Air.
            yeah without that guy it would start, rev, die. start, rev, die.
            sigpic

Comment

yeah it won't go without the MAP. If you ever want to see how funky it can run, pull that vacuum hose off the MAP while the motor is running. It does interesting things.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i'll bet. it ran pretty strangely when i had the map unplugged and gave it gas to start it. i don't really know how to describe it
                sigpic

Comment

what will disconnecting that line to the charcoal canister do? is it the type of thing that just won't run if it has no vacuum?
                  sigpic

Comment

For one, vacuum leaks, two, you'll smell gas vapors, 3 the computer won't allow these vapors to be pulled into the engine, causing it to use more fuel via injectors.

Comment

^^^what he said

Comment

I plugged the vac line and stuck the end of the existing one coming off of the canister into one of the screw holes in the fender so it's venting outside the engine bay. I'll get some new hose and hook it back up soon.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X