Window stopped working, burning smell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window stopped working, burning smell?

The other day while driving at night the drivers side window stopped working and I think I smelled burning plastic. I tried to get under the switch but I'm not sure how to get the power lock part off. What should I do?
    88 MGM 5.0 stock

Open the door to make the courtsey lights go on. Trigger the suspect window motor and look to see if the lights dim. If they dim but no movement occurs from the window your motor destroyed the bushings inside the window motor. Just pull the rod connected to the power door lock slider straight down to remove it.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Power lock rod? What's that have to do with fixing the window motor? Ooooh, you mean on the armrest. Yeah, that's sometimes got to be pried downward with something - but carefully, because the slider posts can tend to be brittle.

FWIW, deepsleep, there's been talk of the window motors being available new, and they're really pretty easy to install. But when I had this happen, it was a cooked window switch. Very easy to repair, just got to be careful not to break all that plastic.
      Last edited by 1987cp; 11-05-2010, 07:10 AM.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

The light dims when I flip the switch and it makes a tick kind of sound but no sound of motor turning and the window doesnt move. So does this mean the bushings are gone? If so, is this a easy fix?
        88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

Your motor is jammed most likely so I would say yes to bushings being gone. They like to break up and cause havoc.

Everything to do with interior and body electrical including headlights and tail lights. CFI specific discussions and AC/heating systems.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Just to make sure, its only one click, its not like the rear windows. The rear windows go down about an inch, stops, and it makes a click click click sound. The front does just one "engaging" sound click...

All I have now is the passenger side window working so I guess I should just order bushings and gears for three windows?
            88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

Working...
            X