loose 3g stator connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loose 3g stator connection

the 3G I've got in my car is getting a new Motorcraft wiring harness, I just went to install it and noticed that the white/black wire running to the plastic bit that clips onto the stator connection is slightly loose - about a mm or 2 mm of play in and out.

What problems do you think this could cause, if any? The alternator is running and charging just fine at over 13v (reason for replacing the harness is that I have a flickering battery light that seems to go away when I fuck with the green/red wire right at the harness.) No drops in voltage whatsoever when the light is flickering.

Since the stator has got to do with the operation of the alternator and the green wire is the one running to the bulb, do you think the loose stator connection could cause the flickering battery light?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

If the connection is loose, it would explain the light flickering.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the plastic bump/protrusion holding the stator "harness" on is chipped! that's what is allowing for the play..pushed it on all the way and zip tied the bastard so it can't move at all..all I can really think of other than buying a new alternator because of a little plastic chip, and I ain't about to do that.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

You can use a little pin to remove the plastic cover off the wire and carefully squeeze the spade connector so it sits tighter on the alternator.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
        X