power antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

power antenna

power antenna on new-to-me '85 colony park isn't working... (stuck half-way up). i've confirmed power in the harness in the engine compartment, so wires/switch are good.

do i really need to remove fender bolts and pull back fender to yank it out (per book)?

noticed antenna cable itself near fender is frayed... looks like a varmint got in there and was chewing things up. i'm wondering if power wires suffered same fate just out of eye sight. ??

dumb question: do you just pop out that little fender liner patch to access bolt for removal? it doesn't want to swivel/twist far enough to open, but there's a lip behind it.

thanks.

follow up question

wiring diagram shows that the antenna cable should have a connector in the engine compartment somewhere(??), but mine appears to be a single cable from stereo to antenna... unless the coupling is down by the motor where i can't see it. would potentially make replacing the frayed cable easier if in fact motor is still good.

Comment

best way i found, is to remove or turn the wheels to the right. then peel back the plastic inner fender enough to get your hand back there. there is only one small bolt that holds it back there. other than that, undo the top lock ring and wiring connection. to remove the coax anntena cable, you may be able to get your hand in from behind the dash to disconnect it. you may have to pull the radio. and then just find the big rubber grommet under the heater box in the car on the firewall, and pop it through. if your lucky, there might be a coax connection right at the power antenna motor(lincoln towncars/mark VIs have this). the later box cars have a connection right at the inside of the firewall. easy enough to do.
      Last edited by marquisman; 01-06-2011, 01:29 PM.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
        best way i found, is to remove or turn the wheels to the right. then peel back the plastic inner fender enough to get your hand back there. there is only one small bolt that holds it back there. other than that, undo the top lock ring and wiring conncetion. easy enough to do.
        Its been a while, but that sounds exactly how I replaced the one on my 89 GM.

Sometimes you can get lucky and just replace the mast and cable if it is still available.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

yeah, you get at it through the wheelwell by peeling back the inner fender. Its a PITA. The 89 I replaced one of those on did not have any connectors for the antenna feed. I had to unplug it from the radio and fish the cable through the car. Not especially enjoyable.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

glad to hear i'm not the only one... this stupid thing is p#ssing me off. (doesn't help that my right hand is in a cast).

the antenna was stuck half-way, so i had to take a hacksaw to the mast, as it would not push down. i loosened the fender bolts i could find (per the manual) but it didn't budge. the liner will definitely have to come out, so i'm gonna have to take the wheel off... and wouldn't you know, the previous owner used wheel locks (and i've got no key).

a 20 minute job has turned in to about 3 hours already-- and besides cutting the mast, i've made no progress to speak of. grrrr.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            yeah, you get at it through the wheelwell by peeling back the inner fender. Its a PITA. The 89 I replaced one of those on did not have any connectors for the antenna feed. I had to unplug it from the radio and fish the cable through the car. Not especially enjoyable.

Comment

not having use of the right hand will bung up things lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
              X