Newer AC system on the box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newer AC system on the box?

Hi guys, did some searching but couldn't find a thread with the info i need, the thing is that i removed the AC system on my box a long time ago. I want to install a newer R134 system on it, my question is if theres a newer panther system that can be adapted to my car? or do i have to go with vintageair or something aftermarket like that?

i apreciate as always all your help. Thanks!

Rafael
    sigpic 1981 LTD one owner
    1992 Thunderbird SC, 1986 Mustang GT, 2003 Focus
    Originally posted by Piece-it pete
    All I know about Mexicans is, they don't need no steekin' badges lol.
    Pete

how completely did you remove the system? if the evaporator core is still in the dash and not rotted out... it's just a matter of putting everything else back in (remans or new or salvage... etc etc). pump it down and verify that the system will hold vacuum for an hour and then fill it with 134a + oil.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The stock stuff converts to R134 fine, but they used a number of different pieces over the years so you need the right parts to mix and match it all. I'm pretty sure the 81 uses the FS6 compressor, not the old school Frigidaire unit like 70s GM cars use. The 85 and older models don't have quick connect fittings, so you need the screw together hoses, evaporator, and condensor. I believe those parts are 80-85 or 81-85. The compressor should work up till 1988 to mate to those hoses. 89+ has different stuff. I want to say the brackets are slightly different in 89+ cars too, but don't hold me to that. I know the 85 and older upper AC bracket looks different, but I believe its mostly a cosmetic thing, so you ought to be able to fit the later AC brackets with the older compressor.
      Last edited by gadget73; 01-11-2011, 12:34 AM.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        The stock stuff converts to R134 fine, but they used a number of different pieces over the years so you need the right parts to mix and match it all. I'm pretty sure the 81 uses the FS6 compressor, not the old school Frigidaire unit like 70s GM cars use. The 85 and older models don't have quick connect fittings, so you need the screw together hoses, evaporator, and condensor. I believe those parts are 80-85 or 81-85. The compressor should work up till 1988 to mate to those hoses. 89+ has different stuff. I want to say the brackets are slightly different in 89+ cars too, but don't hold me to that. I know the 85 and older upper AC bracket looks different, but I believe its mostly a cosmetic thing, so you ought to be able to fit the later AC brackets with the older compressor.
        Thanks mangs, let me see if i understood correctly, since my core is rotted out, i wanted to gut everything out of a good panther, in this case i think i can track down a good 86-88 (so i can have quick disconect hoses) panther at the local pick your part, convert to R134 and it will bolt right in and work?, what about the controls?... is there any wiring that will have to be modified?...

thanks again and sorry for my ignorance, AC stuff has never been my strong side :P

...one more thing, i still have the evaporator still in the car, but the heater core is rotted, do you guys recommend to upgrade to quick disconection hoses or is that not really necesary?

thanks!
        Pete

Comment

the controls should be fine. the ONLY thing that the controls do as far as the A/C goes is engage the compressor. All you need to do is get the refrigerant part fixed.

EDIT:
          heater core?

A/C system has the Condenser (in front of the radiator), evaporator core (part next to the blower for the cabin), and then all the pipes and compressor and such. (don't forget an expansion valve or whatever the hell our cars use - orifice valve maybe)

if the heater core is dead too, but you don't need heat... just bypass it and leave it unless you wanna pull the dash out and replace it.
          Last edited by sly; 01-11-2011, 03:58 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Cool, thanks for all your replys guys, i will take pics of everything once i get the parts and stuff so we have documentation of reference for anyone who might need it... ill keep you posted, i think i will go to the yunkyard this Sunday...

Thanks...
            Pete

Comment

If you need an evaporator, then you can just source whatever year parts you want. I'd probably get everything from the same year that way things don't get stupid with the hoses. I'd probably figure out which parts are most available first. I know at one time, the 81-85 hoses were everywhere on eBay, but the 86-88 ones were hard to get. 89-91 were also easy to get. I haven't shopped for any of this stuff in a couple years, so I don't know whats available now. I would advise getting a new evaporator, and probably all of the parts new if at all possible. The evap is something of a bitch to get out, and you probably do not want to do that job twice. Condensors are easy to swap, but are often crudded up or damaged from road debris. Hoses deteriorate with age, and used compressors are a gamble. Driers you should never recycle.

And yeah, the climate control head unit is nothing more than a power switch. It puts power to the low pressure switch on the side of the drier (can on the passenger side of the engine bay) and then to the compressor. As long as the climate control is in AC mode, and the pressure switch has the right amount of pressure, the compressor runs. I don't believe you even have a WOT cutout relay since your car should be a carb model.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

thanks gadget. i was browsing google for some of the parts you listed, seems they aren't that expensive brand new, at least the drier and the condenser aren't. I was thinkin of getting the complete system so i can compare parts, hoses, etc..., is it better if i get the system from an 86-88?. I don't mind pulling everything out of the car since i'm not using it right now.

Also as you commented, theres a chance the 89-91 compressor might not fit on the bracket, but i guess everything else is a direct fit right?

Would in any of these cases the conversion to R134 will be of no problem?

I shure would like to compensate your advise guys with some brews! to bad im all the way over here
                Pete

Comment

I think its just the upper bracket that may be different, and I'm not even certain of that fact. I know the 85 and older upper bracket looks a lot different than the 86+ one, but I think it still fits the same. The later compressor is a little less noisy than the older one, so that might be an advantage. No idea about internal construction differences, but I think the body is slightly smaller on the later model compressor. I don't know if its a better built unit than the old ones or not.

I really suspect that all the systems are going to be pretty similar as far as performance goes. I'd probably just pick whatever was easiest to get parts for since you basically need the whole thing anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X