speedo max 85 -- swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speedo max 85 -- swap?

not that i'll be driving any faster in my '85 colony park, but just wondering if there are speedo swaps from earlier models?

There's a very (and I mean very) rare 140mph speedo for the Grand Marq's.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Yeah, that's about it.

If you're willing to have to read the smaller numbers, up here in Canada the 351-equipped grand marqs got speedos that went to 120 or 130mph, but the mph readings will be in small font.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Or you could go the route of the Ford Grand Marquis and install the crown vic 140mph speedometer and trim.

Comment

when you put the new speedo in, do you need a different gear in the trans? I would think you would...but doesnt hurt to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
            when you put the new speedo in, do you need a different gear in the trans? I would think you would...but doesnt hurt to ask.
            Nope.

Only time you'd be changing the gear in the transmission would be if you were changing the rear gear ratio.

Comment

You have five options with the Merc:
              A.) Keep the 85mph
              B.) Search search high and low and all over the county (try MO first) to find a Merc PI 140mph speedo. I know of three cars. Be prepared to buy the entire car to get to the speedometer.
              C.) Buy a metric speedo and read the little numbers instead of the large ones. Keep in mind it will record the odometer in kilometers not miles which screws up service history.
              D.) Build a custom instrument cluster with an aftermarket speedometer
              E.) Find a specialty gauge shop that can make a custom face and recalibrate your current speedometer to your desired max. I like this option the best but it's not cheap. Could be cheaper than building a whole new instrument cluster though.

Personally I just swapped out the 85 for a 140 in my wagon. It's nifty to look at but the 85 was really more usable/practical in 99.9% my driving.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                You have five options with the Merc:
                A.) Keep the 85mph
                B.) Search search high and low and all over the county (try MO first) to find a Merc PI 140mph speedo. I know of three cars. Be prepared to buy the entire car to get to the speedometer.
                C.) Buy a metric speedo and read the little numbers instead of the large ones. Keep in mind it will record the odometer in kilometers not miles which screws up service history.
                D.) Build a custom instrument cluster with an aftermarket speedometer
                E.) Find a specialty gauge shop that can make a custom face and recalibrate your current speedometer to your desired max. I like this option the best but it's not cheap. Could be cheaper than building a whole new instrument cluster though.

Personally I just swapped out the 85 for a 140 in my wagon. It's nifty to look at but the 85 was really more usable/practical in 99.9% my driving.
                F.) Find a Crown Vic 140 speedo and all of it's surrounding trim and swap it over.

Comment

G: Use a GPS or Smartphone app
                  2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                  2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                  Past Panthers
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                  if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

lmao at G:

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

I use G for my lincoln cause it doesn't have the right speedo gear for a 3.08L rear

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                      X