Remote Starter install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Starter install

I'm adding a remote starter and keyless entry to my 87 Country Squire, and was wondering if anyone could help id the ten wires on the harness that plugs into the steering column near the lock cylinder. Any tips or advice from someone who has installed a remote starter/ke would also be very much appreciated. thanks for the help

can't help much with wiring since I don't have pinouts on hand... BUT... solder your connections. Crimps will eventually slip out. I had to rewire my 93 when I got it since the alarm it had was absolute junk. That... and the key-fobs were long gone. some aftermarket POS too. Good luck.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

sweet! I didn't know this was possible. Can I install an alarm too?
      What kit did you buy?

Comment

I removed the POS alarm from my car, I didn't add one. you can install anything you want... you just need to know what you're getting into with each part before buying it. If you want lots of features... this means LOTS more wiring. The older the car... the more hook-up wire you'll need to be able to tap into stuff since you may need to run it to remote locations in the car. I would suggest a remote starter that uses a voltage monitor to tell when the motor has actually started. This will allow it to stop cranking at the right time and continue cranking if the engine is not wanting to wake up so to speak. These should also have a timeout that will stop cranking after a set amount of time to avoid burning up the starter and/or draining the battery out. Some alarms also have a remote start feature... so it is possible to get it all in one unit. I've never felt the need to do any of this because it really is a crap ton of wiring and would take quite a while to get it all hooked up. If I ever do get a system like that for a car, I'll probably get it from some place like CarToys and let them install it. Many systems they will install for free (or a nominal fee like $50) as well... so it really can be well worth your money.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

This may be helpful to you as it ID's all the wires you will need to tap into. I found this site when I considered putting a remote start on my grand marquis. Here is the link for an 87.

Comment

1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
            1994 MGM GS Montigua
            2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
            2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Working...
            X